Health help

General health – in an emergency

  • Call the emergency services on 999.
  • If you are on campus or in halls or residence, then you can also call Security on 0116 252 2888 so they can assist the emergency services.

General health – non-emergency

  • You can call NHS 111 (the NHS non-emergency number) – where trained health advisers can direct you to the best medical care for you. It’s free and available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • You can also visit a pharmacist who can help with many common health conditions. They also offer health advice on issues such as sexual health and giving up smoking. The nearest pharmacies to campus are on Queens Road or you can find the nearest one to you on the NHS website.
  • For treatment of minor injuries or illnesses, such as cuts, bruises and rashes, you can visit an NHS walk-in centre or minor injuries unit without an appointment or having to register. Find the closest one to you on the NHS website.
  • Our security team, in the Security Lodge opposite the Danielle Brown Sports Centre, are also first aid trained.


Illness can affect anyone at any time. For this reason, we advise you to register with a local doctor/General Practitioner (GP). Doctors, nurses and administrative staff at the Victoria Park Health Centre have expertise in ‘student health’ and they work closely with the University to support students at times of ill health. Visit Victoria Park Health Centre’s website for opening times, how to register, and how to book appointments. If you are not already registered with a doctor, you can visit a walk-in centre or call 111.


Visit the NHS website for information on your nearest dentist.

Emotional and Mental Wellbeing

COVID-19/ Coronavirus

Guidance for the public on the mental health and wellbeing aspects of COVID/ Coronavirus:

Ten (10) tips if you are worried about Coronavirus:

Coaching, counselling and wellbeing

We have a free and confidential service, providing face to face appointments with qualified professionals, as well as personal development workshops throughout the year.

Headspace Mental Wellbeing Drop-In Service

**PLEASE NOTE: all drop-in sessions have temporarily been cancelled in light of increasing concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak. Please see: for up-to-date information and guidance.**

We also offer free support sessions, where qualified practitioners can help you find solutions and support for mental wellbeing, in particular stress and anxiety.

Mondays and Wednesdays, 11.00am-3.00pm, mezzanine floor of Charles Wilson building, term time only.

Open Mind Mental Wellbeing Service

Students can access psychological NHS assessment and treatment for mild to moderate common mental health problems. Community support and access to resource programmes can be provided. Open Mind also offer workshops for students such as stress control. Students wishing to access the services should use the code LU when applying. To access these services, please complete an online self-referral form.

Stress management workshops

Discover tips and techniques for dealing with stress at our stress management workshops. Sessions take place throughout the academic year on campus and in Oadby. Get in touch with for more information.

Sexual health and contraception

Choices Sexual Health Drop-In Services

**PLEASE NOTE: all drop-in sessions have temporarily been cancelled in light of increasing concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak. Please see: for up-to-date information and guidance.**

You can drop-in to receive impartial sexual health and guidance for under 25s from qualified healthcare professionals.The service offers: testing and treatment for sexual infections, contraceptive pills, contraceptive injection, contraceptive implant, emergency contraceptive pill (morning after pill), free pregnancy testing, and referral for abortion (or to a midwife), and free condoms.

Visit: Tuesdays, 10.30am-1.30pm, mezzanine floor of Charles Wilson building, term time only.


A card that gives you quick and easy access to free condoms, if you are under 24. Visit the NHS Services website for how to register and where your nearest distribution point is. If you are over 25, visit the NHS website.

Share this page: