Keeping well at University

It's important to look after your health. Register with a doctor on campus between 27 and 29 September and find out where to go if you are unwell.

How do I register with a doctor?

Register for the Victoria Park Health Centre by coming to Training Room in the Students’ Union between 10.00am and 4.00pm, on 27, 28 or 29 September. That way you can receive care if you need it, and access health services quickly and easily. It is especially important if you have an ongoing health condition, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy. If you are under 25 you can also receive a vaccination to protect you from meningitis.

What do I do if  I can’t get to see a doctor?

Call NHS 111; the NHS non-emergency number. It's fast, easy and free, where you can speak to highly trained advisers, who can help direct you to the best medical care for you. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

What can my local pharmacy help me with?

Pharmacies can help with many common health conditions including:

  • aches and pains, such as headaches, earache and back pain
  • coughs and colds, including nasal congestion and sore throat
  • minor cuts and bruises
  • skin conditions, such as mild acne and mild eczema
  • constipation and haemorrhoids (piles)
  • hay fever and allergies
  • indigestion, diarrhoea and threadworms
  • period pain and thrush

You do not need to book an appointment and many have a consulting room if you have something you want to discuss in private. The nearest pharmacies to campus are on Queens Road, or you can find the nearest one to you on the NHS website.

For treatment of minor injuries or illnesses such as cuts, bruises and rashes, you can visit an NHS walk-in centre or minor injuries unit without an appointment or having to register. Find the closest to you on

I have a regular prescription. Can I register online?

If you have a condition that requires regular prescribed medication you can request this online by registering for online services. Simply take two forms of photo ID into your health centre and they can sign you up. You can also specify which pharmacy you would like to collect your medication from as well as book appointments online,

What about when I’m back home visiting my family or visiting mates at other unis?

If you become unwell or need other medical treatment when you're back home visiting or staying with friends away from your university address, you can contact your nearest doctor to ask for treatment.

Filed under:

Share this page:

Key Dates

Terms, semesters, exams etc. for current and future academic years.

All key dates