How do I...?


...add something to this list?

If there is something which you know how to do and think other people should know too, please contact


...get a car parking permit?

You can apply for a parking permit through the Car Parking Office, part of Estates and Facilities Management Division. Please see the Car Parking website for details.


...update or correct course/module information?

Please send any updates or corrections for course or module pages to


...get a library card?

Staff members can apply for a library membership card during staffed opening hours by visiting the David Wilson Library on the main campus. Applicants will need to bring valid proof of ID with them.

Top an incident?

Health and Safety incidents/threats

Injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences should be reported immediately to Safety Services on extension 2426.


Crimes should be reported to the Police immediately. Leicestershire Constabulary can be contacted on (0116) 222 2222 or in an emergency dial 999.


If you discover a fire, sound the alarm by breaking the glass in the nearest fire alarm call point. Then call the Fire Service – dial 999 or 222.


If you have a safeguarding cause for concern (for example, a concern you have about the wellbeing of a child or of an adult who may be at risk) you should email

In addition, it is recommended that you also contact the University’s Security Control Room to alert them to any incident. Ring them on extension (0116) 252 2023 or in an emergency internal number 888.


...set up a meeting?

The three things you may potentially need for a meeting are a room, some audio visual equipment and some catering.

Room Bookings

Use the Rooms Directory to find and request a room.

NB. You must book the room you require before requesting AV equipment.

When communicating the location of your meeting to attendees, please use the full name of the location not just the code, e.g. 'Attenborough Seminar Block Lecture Theatre 3' rather than just 'ATT LT3'.

AV equipment

You can book AV equipment for either a single-session via this webform or for multiple sessions via these PDF forms.

Delivered Catering

You can fill in the catering booking form, give them a call on 0116 252 2212 or email



...arrange a shredding collection?

ShredPro take our shredding once a month. If you have any bags to go complete a shredding request form.  Shredding bags can be obtained from Estates, email


...order a key or swipe card?

Replacement or additional keys can be ordered by email from Estates; please note that this can take up to four weeks. Estates are also responsible for issuing and updating swipe cards.


...find a first aider?

Safety Services have a list on their website of all currently certificated First Aiders.

In addition Departments and Divisions Administrators should have up to date local lists of their First Aid trained staff.


...find out key dates?

Key dates are currently spread across the following sites:


...get web/Plone training?

There are two ways to learn the basics of creating/maintaining websites: go on an IT/Staff Development training course or book a one-to-one session with the Webteam.


Staff intending to develop a new Plone site must attend these three courses:

For a simple introduction to Plone or to discuss how Plone can cater for your specific requirements, you can book a one-to-one session with someone from the Webteam.


...arrange IT access for new staff?

A new staff IT account can only be created when HR has processed their application for employment and issued them an employee number. Once their employee number has been given, your Departmental IT Contact (DITC) (login required) can then request a Staff IT account.

More information about using your University IT account can be found on the IT Services website.


...find a porter?

The Portering Service is available throughout normal working hours daily (7.00am to 7.00pm) except weekends and public and University Holidays. Call extension 2599 or

Departmental moves

For portering assistance with departmental moves, please contact the Portering Service at least seven days before the move.


...get a name badge?

Name badges can be ordered directly from our supplier, Recognition Express. How to order a badge.


...launch a new academic programme?

A short guide to the process can be found on the Planning Office website.

Top a University Powerpoint template?

A range of downloadable templates, in the University's pallette of colours and with the University's logo, can be downloaded from the Design section of the Marketing and Communication site.

Top a fault in a building?

All faults or repairs should be reported to the maintenance help desk.


...advertise postgraduate funding opportunities?

Funding opportunities for prospective taught and research postgraduate students can be advertised through the Graduate School website.

You can email the details of your advert to making sure to include:

  • Funding opportunity title
  • Type of opportunity (full/partial studentship, scholarship award, Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant post, etc.)
  • Instructions on how to make informal enquiries and make an application
  • Entry requirements/eligibility criteria
  • Links to further information

Top any problems with the gardens or grounds?

The Horticultural Service is responsible for the maintenance of lawns, trees, shrub borders, seasonal bedding displays, general weed control and at academic sites the clearance of litter, snow and ice. You can contact the service directly via Geoff Sadler or call 0116 271 7725.


...order first aid supplies for my office?

Contact the Safety Services team or call extension 2426 for first aid supplies and information


...request a DBS form for a member of staff or a student?

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. It replaced the old Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).

If you think you may need a DBS Disclosure, you should email: (students), or (staff)

...with brief details of why you think you may require the Disclosure.



...request a new Blackboard module site?

Visit the Blackboard 'How do I...? pages for more information.

A range of Blackboard VLE and e-Learning courses are available via the Leicester Learning Institute


...make an appointment to see a Staff Counsellor?

The Counselling Service is offered by appointment only, Monday to Friday, between 9.00am and 5.00pm. Email to book an appointment or visit the Staff Wellbeing site for more information.


...get University Insurance?

The University's Insurance Services Office can provide staff and students with a wealth of information about how to arrange all types of insurance whether it be for activities at the University, traveling abroad, motor insurance for hired vehicles or personal belongings.


...reserve a car parking space for a visitor?

Visitor parking is limited on Campus, however visitor permits to hunt for a space can be provided by the Car Parking Office by completing the application form, an e-mailable visitors parking permit will then be issued.   Alternative public car parks and travel options can be found on the maps page.


...take precautions against bicycle theft on campus?


The University of Leicester Coded Cycle Scheme is aimed at reducing the incidents of cycle theft on University property.  The scheme involves a series of measure to promote cycle security and is supported by the Students' Union and Leicestershire Constabulary.

Information about the Coded Cycle Scheme is available via the Safety and Security website.  For more on cycling, see the Environment Team bicycle page.


...find out about copying documents for my research and teaching?

The University Library provides useful information about using copyright material.


...request material for the library?

The University Library welcomes suggestions from academic staff for book, journal and electronic resources purchases.


...find out about Open Access publishing?

The University Library has information about the University's Open Access policy and how to make your publications Open Access.


...tell people about a forthcoming event?

Use this event submission form to send details of forthcoming events - public and internal - to the Press Office..


If there is something you would like to see answered via the How do I...? section please email

Share this page: