Working in the UK

Whilst you are studying in the UK you may be allowed to work. This will be confirmed on your visa or BRP card.

If you have UKVI permission to work you will usually be allowed to work  20 hours per week in term time and unlimited in the vacation periods. However the university may recommend that you work less than this, therefore you should check with your Personal Tutor or Supervisor for further guidance

If you are in any further questions regarding this please contact us at

or telephone 0116 2231185


  •      To assist you to find work we have Unitemps                                                                             
  •      To start work in the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance number (NI number )
  •      Whilst you are working in the UK you may have to pay Income Tax
  •      After you have completed your studies you may wish to remain and work in the UK         





Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

0116 223 1185