International Families

If you have children in the UK and they are aged 5 years and over, they MUST attend school. However if you have children under 5 years and they need to be cared for during the day, there are many private nurseries available in and around the city. Children aged 3-4 years are entitled to some free child care at private nurseries see the links below. There are also individuals called childminders who are available to care for your children.

international family square.jpgTo access a place in a local school you need to complete an on line application. We would advise you to do so as soon as possible as often the places are quickly taken therefore you may not be allocated the school which is nearest to where you live.

The University has its own nursery for children up to 5 years old.

Leicestershire also has many private nurseries and childminders.

As the majority of nursery vacancies are filled quickly we would highly recommend that you apply as soon as possible.

For more information on schools in Leicester and Leicestershire, please go to the relevant council websites:

Leicester City Council

Leicestershire County Council

For all the family

The University has a Chaplaincy which host regular events for International students. This provides an opportunity to get together and meet and chat with other students, which can help to ease the transition into life in Leicester.

Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

0116 223 1185