Renewing Your Student Visa

 I need to extend my student visa - what do I do?

How do I make an Application?

What is the 'Student Batch Scheme' and why should I apply through the Student Welfare Service?

What happens at the appointment with the Adviser?

Can I also apply for my dependents to extend their visa?

What can I do now?


I need to extend my student visa – what do I do?

You should start the application process 6-8 weeks before your visa expires.

Please make an appointment to see an Adviser at the Student Welfare Service about 4-6 weeks before the visa expires. Contact details  or 0116 2297400

You need to register your visa application on line

You can start this application before you meet with an Immigration Adviser in the Student Welfare Service. However please do not complete the application form beforehand, unless you wish to make the application without the assistance from the University of Leicester

However if you wish to apply for your new visa by yourself please see the UKVI website for all the information you will require


NB:  You must submit your application before your current visa expires.  If you need to travel out of the country, i.e. on holiday or conference, try to think ahead and apply early to allow the Home Office time to process and return your documents.  The average processing time for online applications can vary from 4 to 10 weeks depending on the time of year.


To extended your visa in the UK please see UKCISA website or contact an Immigration Adviser at Student Welfare Service



What is the 'Student Batch Scheme' and why should I apply through the Student Welfare Service?

The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has a section which handles only student visa extension applications and receives applications directly from some Universities and colleges. The University of Leicester is part of this 'Student Batch Scheme'.


What happens at the appointment with the adviser?

You will need to bring all your documents to the appointment.

The Advisers will check your on line application and, if it is correct, you will be asked to pay and submit the application on line. The checklist will be printed from your application and the Adviser will send this to the UKVI with your documents.

HOWEVER,please note, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that you provide all the correct documents at the time of application - the UK Visas and Immigration can refuse your application if you do not provide them.

Your check list and documents will be sent to the UK Visas and Immigration by Special Delivery.

Once a decision has been made, the UK Visas and Immigration will post your documents back to the Student Welfare Service. We will contact you by email to arrange collection of your passport and visa.

Please note:  Whilst every attempt will be made to ensure the safe delivery of your documents, the University of Leicester cannot be held responsible for any documents which are lost or damaged during the Batch Scheme application process; or for any unsuccessful application for an extension of leave to remain in the UK.

Can I also apply for my dependants to extend their visa?

Some students are eligible for their dependants to join them in the UK.

If you wish to discuss further please make an appointment ( to see an Immigration Adviser in Student Welfare Servie

What can I do now?

You may wish to read the UK Visas and Immigration Tier 4 Policy Guidance which explains all the documents you will need to make a Tier 4 application:

Documents required for Tier 4 Application

When using photo booths please choose PASSPORT photos NOT visa photos as these will NOT MEET UKVI requirements

List of Photo Booths in Leicester

When using these booths please choose PASSPORT photos NOT visa photos as these will not meet UKVI requirements



If you are currently sponsored by a Government or an Official Financial sponsor you will be required to send a letter from the sponsor to the UKVI with your application.

Students in subject areas of Science; Maths; Geography; Engineering; Computer Science should check their University Admissions letter for a 'JACS code' to see whether you need to apply for an extra certificate called 'ATAS'.

If you have any questions about any of this information, please contact or ring 0116 2297400

Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

Due to Covid19 we are no longer offering face to face appointments or drop ins but will consult with students to arrange alternative engagement.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange this.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments can be made outside of these hours in special circumstances.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

+44 (0)116 252 2448

Or visit us in the Student Service Centre, Charles Wilson Building