Safety of Gas and Electrical Appliances

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. It has replaced CORGI registration. Only a Gas Safe registered engineer should fit, fix or service gas appliances.

 

Landlords have responsibilities for gas safety.  By law your landlord must keep all gas appliances supplied for you to use in good condition. They must arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out a gas safety check on them every 12 months and provide you with a copy of the landlord’s gas safety record.

 

Always:

-       Ask for a copy of the landlord’s current gas safety record before you move in.

-       Cooperate with your landlord and let a registered engineer in when a gas safety check or servicing has to be done.

-       Check the ID card of any gas engineer that comes to do work in your home. The engineer must be Gas Safe registered.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas which can kill quickly with no warning. Know the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.  Don’t mistake the symptoms for a hangover. 

If you think a gas appliance is faulty turn it off and let your landlord know immediately. In an emergency call the gas emergency helpline on 0800 111 999.  If you feel unwell, seek medical help immediately.

For more information and to find and check an engineer go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.

 

 

Gas Fire Danger Signs:

  • A yellow or orange flame instead of blue
  • Scorch marks on any part of the appliance
  • Cracked or damaged flues
  • Blocked ventilation (never block or obstruct a vent)
  • Excessive condensation
  • Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Do not turn any electrical switches on or off if you smell gas.

For gas emergency telephone 0800 111 999

For more information contact Gas-Guide.org.uk.  

 

Electrical Appliances

Landlords should also ensure that the electrical system and any electrical appliances that they supply (such as cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters) are safe to use.

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Badly maintained gas appliances have killed students by carbon monoxide poisoning.  Carbon Monoxide is created when the combustion of fuel is incomplete.  You will not be able to smell or taste this gas.  

Your landlord is legally required to have gas appliances serviced every year.  You can demand to see proof of this certificate to help protect yourself against poisoning.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include:

  • Drowsiness
  • Headaches
  • Chest pains
  • Giddiness
  • Sickness
  • Diarrhoea
  • Stomach pains
  • Unconsciousness

If you are concerned about a gas appliance stop using it, turn off the gas supply and ventilate the room.

You can purchase a Carbon Monoxide Detector from any hardware store and most major supermarkets. 

Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or email:welfare@le.ac.uk to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

welfare@le.ac.uk

0116 223 1185