What kind of Tenancy do I have?

If you are unsure, go to the Shelter Tenancy Checker

Check out the links below for more information about different kinds of tenancy agreements.  

Assured Short-hold Tenancy   License Agreement
  • A tenancy agreement gives you a legal right to live in a certain property
  • A licence agreement gives you personal permission to live in the property
  • usually gives you less protection from eviction
Fixed Term   Joint and Several
  • you are guaranteed occupancy of the property, and are committed to paying full rent for the period stated on the contract
  • If you sign a joint agreement with another person or group of people, you have exactly the same rights and obligations as each other; you are all equally responsible for sticking to the conditions of the agreement
  • If a tenant moves out the remaining tenants must pay the rent of the person who left. 

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

  • If your property has three or more storeys that are occupied by five or more people living as two or more households, it is classified as an HMO.
Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or email:welfare@le.ac.uk to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us


0116 223 1185