Before you Move In - Bills and Insurance!

 Bills    Insurance
  • Bills should be paid by the whole household
  • When you move into the property you should contact suppliers and inform them of the date you moved into the property
  • Take meter readings and keep a copy
  • Where to sign up for Utilities
 How to Pay the Bills if you are sharing a house
  • Discuss as a house how bills will be paid and split so that you all pay your own share.
  • It is your responsibility to make sure that gas, electricity and any landline phone bills are registered in the names of ALL students living in the property from the date you moved into the property

    The current form of providing someone's identity is to check the individual against a document - such as a utility bill - so it is in your best interests to have your name listed on at least the Utility Bill




Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

0116 223 1185