Paying the Rent

 How will you pay the rent?

Before you move into a privately rented home or sign an agreement, you should ask your landlord or letting agent to confirm the following in writing:

  • How much rent you will pay and exactly what it includes. Check whether the rent includes bills and council tax and work out whether you can afford it before you sign any agreement.
  • When you should pay. Rent is usually paid weekly or monthly in advance, with the first payment due when you move in
  • How you should pay. Your landlord may prefer you to pay by standing order, cheque or cash. If you pay cash, always make sure you are given a receipt.
  • Any 'rent review' clauses in the tenancy agreement, which allow the rent to be increased.

There are several ways you can pay your rent

By Cheque   By Direct Debit
  • know where to send the cheque
  • it is up to the landlord's bank to make the call for payment once you authorise them to do so
Standing Order   By Cash
  • you can make a set payment into your landlord's bank account each month
  • it is up to your bank to send the payment once you authorise them to do so. 
  • Always obtain a reciept
  • do not give any money to anyone you don't recognise


Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

0116 223 1185