Student Loans and Grants


If you are from the UK* or EU, you may be able take out a Tuition Fee Loan from the Student Loans Company, meaning that you will not have to pay your fees up front! It’s not means-tested, so you will be eligible no matter what level your household income is.

*Regional variances may apply for help towards tuition fees (e.g. Welsh Students are eligible for a Grant to part-pay the fee, and a reduced Loan).

Living Costs (Maintenance Loan) – Full-time Students from England

You can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help pay for living costs. The non-means-tested element is available to all full-time students; what you will receive from the remaining means-tested element is based on household income.

There are special rules for repaying your Loans.

Living Costs (Maintenance Grant) – Full-time Students from England

In addition to the Loan, you can apply for a Maintenance Grant*, available if you are from a lower-income background. The Grant does not have to be repaid!

*From 2016/17 the Maintenance Grant is being replaced by a Loan. If you are already studying in Higher Education and qualify for the Maintenance Grant you will continue to receive it.

Your financial help towards living costs depends upon your household income. Have a go on the Student Finance Calculator to see how much you could get.

Living Costs (Other) – Full-time Students from England

You may qualify for additional help from SLC if you have children of your own, look after an adult dependent, or qualify for Benefits. For up to date information please see, or call Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607. Please also see if you started your course before September 1st 2012.

If you live in the UK but outside England...

there is still financial help towards your living costs if you’re a full-time student. Please see the contact details listed below for further details:


Tel 0300 200 4050


Tel 0300 555 0505

N. Ireland

Tel 0300 100 0077

EU Residents

There are some cases where you might qualify as a UK ‘Home’ Resident student. Please see the UKCISA website to see if you qualify.

Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

0116 223 1185