Postgraduate Financial Support


We have Scholarships available for current and former students. To see if you qualify for any of them, please see the eligibility criteria:

Other fee discounts and Scholarships may exist, irrespective of whether you’re a University of Leicester student, providing you meet the eligibility criteria. Please contact the Department running the course, or email Postgraduate Admissions.

You can also use a Professional and Career Development Loan to pay your fees (see Banks Section below).


The PGCE is supported by the Student Loans Company in the same way that Undergraduate study is supported. Additionally you may also qualify for further Bursaries from the Department for Education, depending upon your achievement in your first degree and the subject you wish to teach.

Previous Higher Education study does not affect your entitlement to funding for PGCE.

Other Financial Support (Fees and Living Costs)

Postgraduate Loans from Student Loans Company (SLC)

The Student Loans Company has made Loans available for Postgraduates. The Loans will be available for both Full-Time and Part-Time students, and worth up to £10,000 to contribute to the cost of Tuition Fees, Books and Course Materials, and Living Costs.

Please refer to both this page and the page that will appear on (which will include details of the application process, expected to open in June 2016).  In addition to the above information, this is what we know so far…

  • Age limit to qualify for a Loan is 60 years old
  • Loans will not be means-tested
  • Residency rules will apply as per Undergraduate SLC Finance
  • Available for your First Master’s Qualification (or equivalent) only
  • Not available for standalone lesser Postgraduate Qualifications (e.g. PGCert/PGDip), or for the final year of an Integrated Master's Programme
  • No more than 2 years duration for Full-Time study, or 4 years for Part-Time.  please contact the Student Welfare Service for further details on the regulations concerning Part-Time postgraduate study
  • Repayment rules are the same as for Undergraduate Loans, except you will repay 6% of Income above Threshold (as opposed to 9%).  PG Loan repayments will be expected at the same time that you are repaying your UG Loan

This Loan covers Taught (PGT) and Research (PGR) courses.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss this option, as well to inform you of other more established funding available.

Meanwhile, other Funding Sources are available in the following areas...

Professional Associations

Contact the Department running your course to see if they are aware of any assistance from Research Councils, and other organisations associated with your subject area. You could look at the Prospects website for details of possible educational grants from all Academic Funding Bodies across the U.K.

Funding opportunities are sometimes available if you are/have been a member of a professional body or Trade Union. If you (or perhaps your family) do have links to such organisations it is worth making a direct enquiry.

Grant-Making Bodies, Charitable and Educational Trusts

The Turn2Us website provides an online grant search where you can search depending on personal circumstances. However, some Trusts are very small and do not have an online presence, and the book entitled The Guide to Educational Grants, which should be available at most main public/university libraries, is also a good point of reference.

Be aware that gaining funding from charities and grant-making bodies can be subject to fulfilling quite specific criteria, and they will often have very limited funds.

If you are able to meet specific criteria concerning your age and how long you have lived in the Leicestershire area, there are two local charities that consider providing interest free loans to postgraduate students.

These are:

The Harry James Riddleston Charity of Leicester

The Sir Thomas White Loan Charity

The University of Leicester

If you are currently a student at the University of Leicester you may qualify for a discount on your course fee (see Fees Section above).

The University also administers a Hardship Fund for all students but this is primarily aimed at undergraduates. This is because postgraduates are usually expected to have made realistic provision to cover their course fees and living costs before they start their course.

Postgraduates would be considered if they demonstrate a significant or unforeseen change in circumstances during their course, leading to higher costs than anticipated. If you feel that you may qualify for an award from the Hardship Funds based upon this information, please see the Hardship Fund Section.


You could speak with your current bank about specific ‘Graduate Loans’ on offer. Some of these may have special features such as a lower rate of interest and/or a deferred payment scheme available to you. In some cases your bank account could remain as a Student Bank Account, and include the Free Overdraft Facility.

Paid Employment

Your expected guided learning hours could be significantly less when compared to your experiences of undergraduate study (even on full-time courses). Consequently it may give you flexibility in the types of job-roles you can take on.

If you are currently working and intend remaining in work when you study, speak with your Human Resources Team about any help towards educational costs that you have access to (particularly if your studies enhance your professional development).

If you are seeking employment during your studies please see Unitemps.


If you have children, a disability, or you reduce your working hours to below 16 hours per week, you may qualify for Benefits. But before leaving or reducing your hours, please note the following:-

  • If your course is classed as ‘full-time’, even if the attendance is minimal or is run as an evening course, you will not be able to claim Jobseekers Allowance (JSA). (Your course may still allow you to keep substantial working hours, so check your timetable before deciding);
  • Studying part-time will not affect your eligibility to claim Benefits if you are currently claiming, however, you will need to advise the Authorities of your new student status, and comply with your ‘Jobseeker’s Agreement’ in order to claim JSA;
  • If you have children, you should be eligible for Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit, subject to household income assessment (full-time or part-time);
  • Working Tax Credit is possible if you meet the age and working hours criteria. This could include the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credit;
  • If you are single and have children, you may also qualify for Housing Benefit if you rent your property, even as a full-time student;
  • Any savings you have could be taken into account when assessing your Benefit applications;
  • As a full-time student you will get a personal exemption from Council Tax (meaning you will either not have to pay at all, or your partner/spouse will be treated as a single occupant and should receive a 25% discount to the Bill);

Much of the above will be subject to having the correct Residency Status in the UK.

You can explore your claim to Benefits further by contacting your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

More information

Contact us by email or call 0116 223 1185


Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

The Student Welfare Service is now based in the new Percy Gee building.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange an appointment or for further information.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9 - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

0116 223 1185