Benefits,Tax Credits and Council Tax


Part-time students may still be able to claim Benefits and Tax Credits. Please tell the relevant Agencies of your student status, and to comply with your Jobseeker’s Agreement you might need to provide details of your weekly hours of attendance.  Also, some of your Benefits (such as Housing Benefit) may require a new application.

Most Full-time students will generally not qualify for Benefits and Tax Credits, however there are some exceptions if you have children, a disability, or if you live with a partner on a low income. This may also enable you to claim the Special Support Grant from Student Finance England.

If you experience any delays in receiving Benefits that you remain entitled to, as a result of becoming a student, please contact the Welfare Service.

All full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax, but the rules can be complicated if you live with other people who have a liability to pay. Please contact the Student Welfare Service to discuss your situation if there is any doubt.


Share this page:

Report and Support

Need to report an incident? Use the University's Report and Support system.

Opening hours

Due to Covid19 we are no longer offering face to face appointments or drop ins but will consult with students to arrange alternative engagement.

Please contact the Student Welfare Service directly on 0116 223 1185 or to arrange this.

The Student Welfare Service is open from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Appointments can be made outside of these hours in special circumstances.

In an emergency, contact University Security on 0116 252 2888.

Contact Us

+44 (0)116 252 2448

Or visit us in the Student Service Centre, Charles Wilson Building