Please Note: The UK government changed the immigration route for students, on 5 October 2020. The ‘Tier 4’ route has now become the ‘Student’ route. Most of the changes are not significant but they might affect you and might affect the information on this page. We will update the information on this page as soon as possible. In the meantime, you are advised to read the guidance the Home Office has produced.

As an international full-time student you must have a valid visa that permits study; usually this will be  either a Tier 4 (General) or Student visa. If you are already studying with us and your current leave (visa) is due to expire before the end of your course you will need to renew your visa. You may also need to renew your visa if you are resuming full time study after a period of suspense.

If you change your immigration status during the course of your studies then you must tell us about this change. Find out how to do this, and renew your Tier 4 (General) or Student visa below.

Student Immigration Advice and Compliance have trained immigration staff who can give you advice and guidance regarding your visa application and any dependants (if applicable).  You can contact them by:


It is advisable to contact an Immigration Adviser at least 1-2 months before your current visa expires.

To find out how we look after your data click here University Privacy Notice.

How to apply for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number and visa

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a unique online reference number issued to you by the University as your Tier 4 Licensed sponsor. We provide the CAS to you on a CAS Statement. The CAS Statement is sent to you by email and will include the CAS number and other information that will help you to complete your visa application form.

Once you have firmly accepted an offer for a course you will need to make an application for your CAS number in order to apply for a visa. Find out more about applying for a CAS and visa.

Registered students could be studying with us on one of many different visa types. If you currently hold a Tier 4 (General) or Student visa and will be continuing your full time study, or if you wish to switch to the new Student visa you will need to request a CAS Statement.

For current students, please complete the CAS Application Form (Word Document) . You must include copies of your current passport and visa with your form and any other relevant documents, such as an Police Registration Certificate. Please submit the completed form to Please allow at least 10 working days for the production of your CAS Statement.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

When you apply for your Student visa you will be asked to specify a collection point for your BRP. We are currently unable to offer BRP collection on our campus for you and any Tier 4 dependents on your visa. You may still be able to collect it from a Post Office. Find out more about BRPs.

Registering for your Course

If you are an international student and you are registering with us to undertake a full-time programme of study then you must complete a visa checkpoint as part of your registration. This would occur after you have completed Online Registration.

You must complete a Visa Checkpoint to finish your registration.

If you think that your arrival in the UK will be delayed then please contact the Admissions Office and/or your department, who can help you to consider suitable options including a deferral of studies.

As part of your visa conditions some nationalities will also have to register with the local police.

Renewing Your Student visa

If you are a current student at the University of Leicester, the Student Immigration Advice and Compliance department can help you extend your Student visa.

As the process of renewing a visa is now more complicated, you are strongly advised to get the correct information from an Immigration Adviser.

To learn more about the process of applying for a new Student visa, please visit here:

Renewing your Student Visa

Changes to Your Immigration Status

The University is legally required to keep copies of your valid immigration status documents. If you change your immigration status after you have registered for your course, then you must inform Student Immigration Advice and Compliance and provide copies of all relevant visas, passports and other documents. You can do this:

In person at the Student Services Centre. This is located in the Charles Wilson Building, please check their opening hours, especially during the current Covid-19 pandemic restrictions/lockdown.

By email to

Short-term study visa

You should apply for this visa from overseas (as Entry clearance) if you intend to study an English Language course, that is between 6 and 11 months in duration.

If you intend to study an English Language course that is up to 6 months long, then you may be apply under the Visitor route

If you are studying with us on a distance-learning or part-time basis (not Remote Learning) and need to visit the University for a short period of time in connection with your studies (i.e. for research training, supervisory sessions, a probation review meeting, viva voce examination or graduation ceremony) then you will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

To secure your visa you should ask your department for a letter that confirms:

  • your details (name, date of birth, student number, course details)
  • the dates of your proposed visit
  • the purpose of your visit

You must not stay in the UK for longer than your visa permits, nor undertake any paid employment whilst you are in the UK.

Non-Tier 4 visas

For information about eligibility to switch to a Student visa or renew a non-Tier 4/Student visa please contact

Doctorate Extension Scheme

If you are a full-time international student studying towards a doctoral degree on a Tier 4 or Student visa then you may be eligible to apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme. To find out more information, visit here.

Share this page: