English Language Teaching Unit - Visa Renewal

Visa Renewal English Language Teaching Unit ELTU


Students who successfully pass their English language course will need to renew their visa to progress and register on to their main academic course of study.

Information provided here is specifically for students renewing Tier 4 visas in the UK.

If you are applying overseas to come and study at the English Language Teaching Unit please see our pages on applying for a Tier 4 visa outside the UK.

Applying for your visa

Once you have been informed that you have passed your course, you will receive a CAS statement by email. Once you have your CAS statement; maintained the required amount of money for 28 consecutive days and obtained your supporting documents, you can apply for your visa online via the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) website:

Supporting documents

If your nationality is considered as a ‘Low Risk National’ by the UK Government, you will be subject to different documentary requirements, please check here for the list of countries.

On your Tier 4 visa application form, you must indicate that you are a Low Risk National by ticking the box marked 'Differentiation Arrangement'.

Ticking this box affects what documents you need to provide with your visa application. As a Low Risk National, the only documents you will need are:

• Your passport

You will not need to provide evidence of your qualifications or your finances. However, you should make sure that you have these documents ready, because UKVI sometimes asks for them, when they conduct random checks of visa applicants. If you cannot provide this evidence when asked, or the documents you provide are not suitable, your visa application may be refused.

Any documents requested by UKVI that are not in English, must be translated by an official translation company and submitted as well. Please refer to the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, to check what the format and content of the translation must include.


You must have a certain amount of money (called Maintenance by UKVI) in your bank account for 28 consecutive days before you apply for your visa. The amount is:

• Your tuition fees, for first year of study or remaining fees, if you have made a  payment. Any merit based scholarship awarded, will be automatically deducted from this amount.

• Plus at least £9,135 for living expenses

• Minus up to £1,265 ONLY for university accommodation fees, if you have already paid these. You cannot deduct any money paid for private accommodation fees.

Please use the Maintenance funds calculator to help you.

If you do not have your own bank account, you can have this money in the personal bank account of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s). You cannot use a business account.

However if the UKVI conducts a random check on your visa application and requests to see evidence of your funds, you will have to provide evidence that you have this money. If you are using a parent/guardian’s bank account, that evidence will include:

• Parent(s) or legal guardian(s), bank statement from a personal bank account.

• Your birth/adoption certificate (or court papers if you have a legal guardian)

• A letter of consent, signed by your parent/guardian, stating that you can use their funds and confirming their relationship to you.

You can start using this money, the day after you have submitted your visa application. Although, we recommend waiting until after you receive confirmation, that your visa application has been successful, as a precaution.

If you have any enquiries, please check our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) page first. If you still cannot find the answer to your question, then contact us by email: visas@le.ac.uk or telephone: 0116 2297400.

Useful links







Share this page: