Withdrawing from your studies - Undergraduate

A withdrawal from studies is when you permanently leave your programme of study. If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may wish to consider suspending your studies and returning at a later point rather than completely withdrawing.
More information about:
International students
‘Withdrawal’ means permanently leaving your course so should only be considered as a last resort. It is vital that you speak beforehand to your Personal Tutor and to the Student Welfare Service who will help you explore other options such as suspending your studies for a year or transferring to a different course.
Before deciding to withdraw, you should examine very closely how this will affect you financially. You may still have to pay some or all of your tuition fee. You may have to repay any bursary or scholarship you have received, or any loan or grant. You may be locked into an accommodation contract.
If you withdraw from your course, there nothing to stop you from applying to the same course again in the future (or a different course). However you may not be eligible for the same funding.
Your withdrawal will formally start on the last date that you ‘engage with’ the University, which will normally be attendance at a lecture/seminar/tutorial/exam or the submission of a piece of work. This date is important because it can affect things like loans and fees.

Applying for withdrawal

Once you have discussed your situation with your Personal Tutor, Student Welfare and everyone else who can advise you, and after you have considered other options, if you definitely want to withdraw from your course you need to complete the online Withdrawal process.

You can access the Withdrawal process online through MyStudentRecord (MSR). To request a withdrawal, log in to MSR and go to the ‘My Request’ tab at the top of the Welcome page. If you cannot log into MSR please contact IT Services.

You will receive an email notification to your University email address once your request has been submitted to the University. Your School/Department will then review your request, and confirm your last date of engagement, before approving your withdrawal from your studies. Once your Withdrawal request has been processed we will confirm this to you by email (to your University email address).

We will notify the relevant organisations (where applicable) of your withdrawal as soon as possible. These include the Student Loans Company, UK Visas and Immigration, and HESA.

Share this page: