Withdrawing from your studies - Postgraduate research

A withdrawal from studies is when you permanently leave your programme of study. If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may wish to consider suspending your studies and returning at a later point rather than completely withdrawing.
More information about:
International students

‘Withdrawal’ means permanently abandoning your PhD so should only be considered as a last resort. It is vital that you speak beforehand to your supervisor, to the Doctoral College Office and to the Student Welfare Service who will help you explore other options such as suspending your research for a year.

Before deciding to withdraw, you should examine very closely how this will affect you financially. You may still have to pay some or all of your fee. You may have to repay any bursary or scholarship you have received, or any loan or grant. You may be locked into an accommodation contract.

If you withdraw from your PhD, there nothing to stop you from applying a similar PhD again in the future. However you may not be eligible for the same funding.

Applying for withdrawal

Once you have discussed your situation with your supervisor, Student Welfare, the Doctoral College, and everyone else who can advise you, and after you have considered other options, if you definitely want to withdraw from your Research degree you need to complete the online Withdrawal Process.

You can access the Withdrawal process online through MyPGR. To request a withdrawal log in to MyPGR and select the ‘Change requests’ button on the right hand side of your profile page and ‘start a new change request’.

You will receive an email notification to your University email address once your request has been submitted to the University. Your School/Department will then review your request, and confirm your last date of engagement, before approving your withdrawal from your studies. Once your Withdrawal request has been processed we will confirm this to you by email (to your University email address).

We will notify the relevant organisations (where applicable) of your withdrawal as soon as possible. These include the Student Loans Company, UK Visas and Immigration, and HESA.

Share this page: