Permanent Withdrawal

If you are considering withdrawing from your studies we would like to help you make the right decision for you. Before making a decision we would strongly advise that you speak with your academic department and, if relevant, support services at the University. In addition, there are likely to be practical repercussions on your student funding, the fees you are due to pay the University and your accommodation. It is important you understand these BEFORE you make your decision.

A withdrawal from studies is when you permanently leave your programme of study at the University of Leicester.  If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may wish to consider suspending your studies and returning at a later point rather than completely withdrawing.

Transferring to another University

If you wish to withdraw from your studies at Leicester in order to start at programme at another University you should follow the process set out below for permanent withdrawal. You should be sure that you understand the potential impact on your student funding, the fees that you may be due to pay the University or accommodation contracts.

Information on each of these is available on the pages below and Student Welfare Service staff can provide further advice.

To permanently withdraw from your studies you will need to complete the online Withdrawal Request process. If you are an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Taught student, please log into MyStudentRecord to complete the process. If you are a Postgraduate Research (PGR) student please log into MyPGR.
Please read the guidance on these web pages before you complete your online request to withdraw from your studies.

Information specifically related to your course type can be found here:

For further support

Student Welfare Service staff can provide further advice on the practical repercussions of withdrawing from your studies, or transferring to another University. You can request an appointment by sending an email to or calling 0116 223 1185.

The Advice Service in the Students' Union provide advice and guidance on a range of issues and University processes and can be contacted at and 0116 223 1132.

You can also speak to your department about any queries or concerns you may have about withdrawing.

Share this page: