Withdrawing from your studies - Distance Learning students

A withdrawal from studies is when you permanently leave your programme of study. If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may wish to consider suspending your studies and returning at a later point rather than completely withdrawing.

‘Withdrawal’ means permanently leaving your course so should only be considered as a last resort. It is vital that you speak beforehand to your Personal Tutor and to the Student Welfare Service who will help you explore other options such as suspending your studies for a year or transferring to a different course.

Before deciding to withdraw, you should examine very closely how this will affect you financially. You may still have to pay some or all of your tuition fee. You may have to repay any bursary or scholarship you have received, or any loan or grant.

If you withdraw from your course, there nothing to stop you from applying to the same course again in the future (or a different course). However you may not be eligible for the same funding.

Your withdrawal will formally start on the date that you contact the University requesting withdrawal. This date is important because it can affect things like loans and fees.

Applying for withdrawal

Once you have discussed your situation with your Personal Tutor, Student Welfare and everyone else who can advise you, and after you have considered other options, if you definitely want to withdraw from your course you need to complete the online Withdrawal process.

You can access the Withdrawal process online through MyStudentRecord (MSR). To request a withdrawal log in to MSR and go to the ‘My Request’ tab at the top of the Welcome page. If you cannot log into MSR please contact IT Services.

You will receive an email notification to your University email address once your request has been submitted to the University. Your School/Department will then review your request, and confirm your last date of engagement, before approving your withdrawal from your studies. Once your Withdrawal request has been processed we will confirm this to you by email (to your University email address).

We will notify the relevant organisations (where applicable) of your withdrawal as soon as possible. These include the Student Loans Company, UK Visas and Immigration, and HESA.


The amount of your tuition fee that you pay for the academic year in which you withdraw depends on how much of the year has passed. If you withdraw within 14 days of the start of your course we will not charge you a tuition fee.

If you withdraw after this 14-day period, you tuition fee will be calculated by the number of months since your course started.

The exception to this is if you are on an undergraduate distance learning course and you have a loan from the Student Loans Company, in which case the fee calculation is:

Withdrawal during:Tuition fee paid:
First 14 days of course None
First third of the course 25%
Second third of the course 50%
Final third of the course 100%

If appropriate, we will inform the Student Loans Company (SLC) of your withdrawal as soon as possible and we will report any change in your tuition fee. The SLC will then stop your payments and send you a new award notice for that academic year. If you do get paid anything after this you may be asked to repay it straight away so it’s important that you let the University know as soon as you decide to withdraw.  If you are overpaid the SLC will contact you about alternative ways to pay.

If you have received a bursary or scholarship from the University, you will be contacted about repayment of any outstanding money.

If you have a US Loan (Sallie May Loans), once we have processed your withdrawal, the Fees Payments Office do a recalculation of your fee liability and inform the US Loans company.

Share this page: