Suspending your studies - Undergraduates

If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away from your course then you can apply to suspend your studies and return to your course next year.
More information about:
International students

This is, obviously, a big decision with a lot of implications, although it should not ultimately affect your long-term prospects. You will graduate with exactly the same degree.

Your first step should always be to talk with your personal tutor, and you should also speak with Student Welfare. Remember that suspension isn’t the only option when problems arise. You may be able to apply for mitigating circumstances or it might be possible to transfer to another course. (In an extreme situation, it is possible to withdraw completely, in which case you may receive a different qualification such as a Diploma (DipHE) or Certificate (CertHE). We will always help you explore other options before making this decision.)

Points to consider before you decide to apply for suspension:

  • The content of our courses sometimes changes from year to year, so the selection of modules available when you return may be different.
  • Fees, bursaries, scholarships, loans, maintenance grants, accommodation costs – you should thoroughly explore how this will affect you financially.
  • You will be learning among a different cohort and will need to make new relationships with your fellow students.
  • If you are an international student, you should check how this will affect your visa/immigration status.

While your studies are suspended, you will still be able to contact University staff and you will still have access to:

If you are working for the University through Unitemps (and are able to continue that work), this will be unaffected.

Health-related suspension

If you have been diagnosed with a long-term condition or disability, please contact the AccessAbility Centre about support and services available to you at the University.

Applying for suspension

Once you have discussed your situation with your personal tutor, Student Support Services and everyone else who can advise you, and after you have considered other options, if you definitely want to suspend your studies you need to complete this form.

You should email the form from your University of Leicester email address, there is no need for a signature when your form is sent from this email account. You must attach any supporting documents such as a doctor’s letter. Please send the form to your department's email address.

Once your request has been processed we will confirm this by email (to your university email address).

We will notify as soon as possible the Student Loans Company, UK Visas and Immigration (if applicable) and any other relevant organisations.

Share this page: