Suspension of Studies

If you are considering suspending your studies we would like to help you make the right decision for you. Before making a decision we would strongly advise that you speak with your academic department and, if relevant, support services at the University. In addition, there are likely to be practical repercussions on your student funding, the fees you are due to pay the University and your accommodation. It is important you understand these BEFORE you make your decision.

A suspension of studies is an approved period of absence away from your programme of study.  If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may apply to suspend your studies and return at a later point.

To suspend your studies, campus based (non-distance learning) students will need to complete and submit the Suspension Request Form in full. Please read the guidance in these web pages before you complete the form and email it to us

  • Distance learning students (you do not need to complete the form, you may contact your Distance Learning Team directly about suspending)

For further support

Student Welfare Service staff can provide further advice on the practical repercussions of suspending your studies. You can request an appointment by sending an email to or calling 0116 223 1185.

The Advice Service in the Students' Union provide advice and guidance on a range of issues and University processes and can be contacted at and 0116 223 1132.

You can also speak to your department about any queries or concerns you may have about suspending your studies.

Share this page: