Help and support

Your request will be considered and you will receive a response usually within seven calendar days after submitting a request. There are a range of options available if you need more help or support.

Help and support is available from staff in your department and our student support teams:

If you're having difficulty with studying and would like some support...

Our AccessAbility Centre offers support and practical help for students with dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties; physical, mental health or mobility difficulties; deafness or visual impairment.

The Advice Service (formerly the Education Unit) in the Students' Union provide advice and guidance on a range of issues and University processes, including:

  • Mitigating circumstances
  • Academic appeals
  • Misconduct issues
  • Complaints
  • Changing course
  • Suspending or withdrawing from your studies
  • Issues with your course
  • Exam worries
  • Withdrawal from your course for non-attendance

Leicester Talks is an online list of support services, including University, Students’ Union (SU), Student-led and Community services. Whether you’re looking for academic advice, someone to chat to about your wellbeing, welfare guidance or a specific support group, there’s something for everyone.

If you're experiencing financial or emotional difficulties and would like some support...

We've a range of teams who can provide help and support. All these teams are located in the Student Services Centre, Charles Wilson Building.

Student Welfare Service - General and specialist advice on a wide range of issues including finance, immigration, housing, leaving care, childcare and benefits.

Student Mental Wellbeing - This specialist service is here to help you manage your mental wellbeing and to co-ordinate the range of support available, to lessen the impact these might have on your studies. This is free and confidential service, provided by qualified professionals for all students.

Student Counselling Service - Counselling can help you to focus on and understand more clearly issues which concern you, and make choices or changes which are right for you. This is effective for help with a wide range of personal, developmental and academic problems. The service can provide a letter for mitigating circumstances if you've attended the Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service for three sessions or more at the time relevant to when the mitigating circumstances apply.

If you think you might need time away from your studies... Talk to your personal tutor or departmental administrator. They'll be able to advise you whether a formal suspension of studies is an option and discuss this with you, as well as arrangements for returning to your studies.

Next steps

Your department(s) will consider your request and contact you with an outcome usually within seven working days.

If your circumstances are complex your request may be taken to a mitigating circumstances panel. If this happens we'll let you know and provide you with a new date to expect an outcome. At the panel, your situation will be assessed along with the evidence you've provided.