Registering with other visas (not Tier 4)

Non-Tier 4 visas

You can normally register with the University with any UK leave (permission) which does not prohibit study. Some visa types have conditions attached to them and the most common are listed below.

From September we will resume face to face checks and if you are starting your studies then or have obtained a new visa or passport you will be required to attend with your original documentation.

Standard Visitor Visa

You can obtain this permission either before travelling or at the UK border.

You are not permitted to register on a course of more than 6 months if you are holding this permission and can only register if you are studying on a:
  • Study Abroad programme
  • Erasmus exchange programme
  • English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU) course

If you intend to obtain a Standard Visit Visa on entry make sure you have the relevant documentation to show the Border Force Officer that you will be entering the UK for the purposes of study.

At the border you must present a valid passport which should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK. You may also be asked for the following:

  • Your offer letter which shows you have been accepted on to a course with us
  • Evidence of funds to support yourself whilst in the UK - you are advised to print your bank statement and ideally have it stamped by your bank before travelling
  • A rental agreement or details of accommodation that you have arranged for your stay
  • A return travel ticket or evidence you have the funds to pay for one. A return ticket will also show your intention to leave the UK at the end of your visit.

If you have a biometric passport you may pass through the eGates and not see a border force office but you are advised to have the documents above available to show if requested. We advise that you have print outs of the documents above and carry them in your hand luggage so you can access them easily if requested.


What documents will I need to show at visa checkpoint if I do not have physical visa document?

If your passport was stamped at the border we will use this to calculate your 6 months permission for the UK. If your passport was not stamped or you have not been granted a vignette in your passport you must provide evidence of when you entered the UK during visa checkpoint by providing at least one of the following:

  • Boarding card
  • Flight ticket or ebooking


Short-term Study Visa

This visa is primarily for English language courses which last more than 6 months and no longer than 11 months. You can use this visa to study an English language course at our Centre for International Training and Education. You need to obtain this visa before travelling to the UK.

Dependant visa

If you are currently residing in the UK on a dependant visa you can register and study on that visa. if your visa does not cover the full duration of your programme you will have to provide evidence that you have made a new application for leave to remain before your visa expires.

Tier 2 visa

You can register for a part-time course on a Tier 2 visa and it must not include a work placement. If your employer stops sponsoring you, you will lose your right to study and you must inform us immediately. You must  provide your consent for us to make periodic checks with the UKVI to ensure that your visa remains valid throughout your studies.

Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa

You can register for a course on this visa if the visa covers the full duration of your course. If your visa will expire before your course finishes you should contact Student Immigration Advice and Compliance for advice.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

You can register if you are currently residing in the UK in this category but you are still required to attend a visa checkpoint and provide evidence of your status when you begin your studies.

Please note currently students holding or planning on entering on a visit visa and travelling from red-list countries are not able to enter the UK as you do not have the right of residence.

Share this page: