Registering with a Tier 4 Visa

Tier 4 Visas

Tier 4 Visas

Most non-EU/EEA students who wish to study in the UK for more than 6 months will obtain a Tier 4 visa. Some students studying in the UK for less than 6 months may also be able to obtain a Tier 4 visa for their studies. A Tier 4 visa gives the holder the right to work and access to the National Health Service (NHS). There are obligations and duties for both Tier 4 sponsors and the students they sponsor.

You can only study with the sponsor (college or University) named on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) you used to obtain your visa. Your visa should state our UKVI Tier 4 Licence number so when you receive your BRP you should check the details, including your personal details carefully.

Registering on a new Tier 4 visa

If you have obtained a Tier 4 visa overseas you will be given an entry clearance vignette (visa sticker) in your passport valid for one month during which time you must enter the UK. Once you arrive in the UK you should collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the collection point detailed on your visa grant letter within 10 days. If you arrive more than 10 days before your visa checkpoint you must collect your BRP from the Student Services Centre in the Charles Wilson building, ground floor. Otherwise the following applies:

  • If you have opted to collect your Biometric Residence Permit from the University it will be given to you at Visa Checkpoint.
  • To collect your BRP you will have to show your visa grant letter. This is the letter you were given when you collected your BRP. If you are collecting BRPs for dependants you will have to show their grant letters too.
  • If you have not opted to collect your BRP from the University you must collect it from the location on your visa grant letter before attending visa checkpoint.

If you arrive at visa checkpoint without your BRP card you will be advised to collect it and return with it to complete your registration.

You must show both your entry clearance vignette and your BRP at the visa checkpoint with a current valid passport. A full document list is provided below:

  • Passport
  • Entry clearance vignette (sticker in passport)
  • Biometric Residence Permit

At the visa checkpoint we will check that you have entered the UK during the validity period of your entry clearance vignette. This means we will check that you entered the UK between the 'valid from' and the 'expiry date' on your visa. If you have entered through an electronic e-gate at the airport and have not had your passport stamped you must keep hold of your boarding card as we will have to confirm when you entered before we can register you.

Registering on your current Tier 4 visa

If you are currently studying on a Tier 4 visa you will have to attend a visa checkpoint to register for the new academic year. We will check the visa you present us matches the visa we have on our records. We will update our records with copies of any new visas obtained, perhaps because a previous visa was lost. You will need the following documents to successfully navigate visa checkpoint;

  • Passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Do not try and travel to the UK before the start date on your entry clearance vignette (visa sticker in passport) is valid as you will probably have to exit the UK and re-enter during the validity period of the entry clearance to make your visa valid.


Tier 4 visa with a different sponsor

If you have been studying with another sponsor you must apply for a new Tier 4 visa using a CAS we have issued to you. If you have completed the last course you studied in the U UK you are probably able to make this application within the UK. You must provide evidence that you have done this before you can register.

You can register and start studying before receiving your new visa from UKVI or permission to switch, but you do so at your own risk. If permission for a new Tier 4 visa is refused, you must end your studies immediately and you may not be able to complete your course.

Tier 4 visa and just completed a course - apply for a new Tier 4 visa

If you have just completed a course with us or another UK institution, you must apply for a new visa to cover your new course. Our Admissions team will provide you with a CAS to make your application.

To register you will need to provide evidence that you have made this visa application (see Registering with an in-time visa application).

if you have any difficulties in making this application before you register please contact Student Immigration Advice and Compliance who can advise you further.

Tier 4 Child

We do not hold a Tier 4 licence to sponsor students with a Tier 4 (Child) Student visa. If you are over 16 and studying at degree level you should apply for a Tier 4 General visa.

If you have a Tier 4 (Child) visa and wish to study with us, you will need to apply for a new Tier 4 (General) Student visa before you can start your studies. If you think you have been issued with A Tier 4 (Child) visa in error, please contact Student Immigration Advice and Compliance who can help you to correct this.


Share this page: