Your Visa Checkpoint

For International (non-EU) students

Visa Checkpoint

All new and returning international (non-EU/EEA) students must complete the Visa Checkpoint at the start of each academic year and show they have valid leave (permission) to study with us, the University of Leicester.

As a Tier 4 sponsor we are required to ensure that every student has valid UK leave (permission) throughout the whole period of their study. We are required to take and keep copies of documents provided as part of our sponsor duties in accordance with our Privacy Notice.

The documents we are required to check and store should be available to the officer at port when you cross the border. Please ensure you get a stamp on your entry clearance vignette when you enter the country.

What happens at the Visa Checkpoint

We will check your visa and passport to ensure that you have valid leave (permission) to study your chosen course with us at the University of Leicester.

We will also ensure that the personal information we hold on you is correct and that we have a current UK address and phone number.

To successfully complete the visa checkpoint and register with the University all students must show either;

  • a valid passport and visa OR
  • evidence of valid leave (permission) in the UK

If you do not evidence that you have valid leave (permission) to study in the UK you will not be able to register. In this instance you may be signposted to a specialist Immigration Adviser in Student Immigration Advice and Compliance (SIAC) or contact With your permission they can liaise with the UKVI to confirm your status OR assist you in making a Tier 4 application before the latest registration date for your course.

Once you complete the visa checkpoint you will receive your University ID card and a letter confirming that you are registered with us. We will also provide you with a letter to help you open a UK bank account.

Your leave should normally cover the full duration of your programme of study and if it does not you may be required to speak with a member of Student Immigration Advice and Compliance before you register.

What to bring with you

Please note all documents must be originals, copies will not be accepted.

New students

  • Your offer letter or other correspondence you have received from us with your nine digit student number on it
  • Your current passport and visa

Returning students

  • Your University ID Card
  • Your current passport and visa

If you are a student on a Tier 4 visa who is returning from a break in your studies, you must obtain a new visa to travel to the UK and enrol on your course. Do not attempt to travel on a visa which has been reported to the UKVI.

Additional Information for Tier 4 Students

  • Tier 4 students must show their entry clearance vignette (visa sticker in passport) and their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
  • If you have applied for a Tier 4 visa and have opted to collect your Biometric Residence Permit from the University it will be given to you at your Visa Checkpoint. To collect your visa you will need to show your 'visa grant letter', this is the letter given to you with your entry clearance vignette.
  • If you have not opted to collect the BRP from the University you must collect it from the location on your visa grant letter before attending visa checkpoint.


You must complete the Visa Checkpoint by the registration deadline for your course. After this date your department must confirm to us that you still have time to be able to successfully complete your course.

Tier 4 students who try and travel after the latest start date on their CAS may have trouble entering the UK. Admissions can update your CAS with a new latest start date agreed with them and your department. If you are delayed in coming to Leicester or you are unable to come please contact the relevant service:

New students - please contact for undergraduate courses and for postgraduate courses. If you are a Tier 4 student please provide a CAS number with your email and your 9 digit student number with your email.

Returning students - please contact your department and who can make any relevant notification to the UKVI.

Visit our Visa Information page for information about registering with an in time visa application, Tier 4 visas, General Visitor or Student Visitor visas and Section 3C and Appeals.

Student Immigration Advice and Compliance

The International Student Advisors are trained to provide immigration advice and can help you apply for a new Tier 4 General visa. There is also an International Welfare Officer in the team who can help with any difficulties or concerns you may have travelling to the UK or during your stay.

You can contact them by visiting the Student Services Centre in the Charles Wilson Building, emailing or by calling 0116 229 7400.

Share this page: