Canadian Loans

If you are a Canadian student you may wish to take out a Canadian Loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. The Government of Canada provides financial assistance in the form of loans and grants to Canadians attending full-time and part-time post-secondary education in most provinces and territories across Canada.

Please visit the Government of Canada website for information on eligibility and how to apply.

Paying your course fees

If you have been awarded a student loan or grant, you must provide the Student Services Centre with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility that indicates how much money you will get. If the loan/grant is not covering the full academic year’s fee, you will be liable to pay your element of the fee liability in line with the dates and number of instalments detailed in the 'when and how much to pay' section of this website.

If you have not received your Certificate of Eligibility then you will need to pay the first instalment of your tuition fees as detailed in the 'when and how much to pay' section of this website. If your loan is then later paid to the University, we will arrange for any overpayment to be refunded back to the original payee.

Confirmation of enrolment

You will receive an enrolment form and instructions in the post from your Canadian Student Services Branch. This must be signed by us to confirm your enrolment before you can return the form back to the correct Student Services Branch. We can only sign this once you have registered with the University.

Canadian Tax Credits

Students who file a Canadian tax return may claim reduced tax on their education expenses.

Campus based students - will require a TL11A (Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate - University outside of Canada) form. These will be automatically created and emailed to all full-time Canadian campus based students in February.

Distance learning students - will require a TL11D (Tuition Fees Certificate – Educational Institutions outside Canada for a Deemed Resident of Canada) form. This should be requested through the relevant Distance Learning Team.

Share this page: