Council Tax

Council Tax is the system of local taxation used in the UK and applies to all houses, flats, bedsits and apartments.

Full-time students living in households where everyone is a full-time student do not pay Council Tax, however distance learning and part-time students do. If you are on a low income you may be able apply for Council Tax Benefit. You may also be able to claim one of the other discounts that are available.

Notifying the Council that you are a student

We will send a list of full-time students to the Leicester and Leicestershire Councils below. This list is sent two times a year, in October and February.

Blaby District Council Charnwood Borough Council
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council Leicester City Council
Melton Borough Council Market Harborough District Council
Oadby and Wigston Borough Council North West Leicestershire Council

To be included on the list you must give us your correct term-time address, including your postcode. If you are moving house, please tell us of your change of address.

If you do not provide us with your postcode, or if you change your address without telling us, your details will not be sent to the Council and you will be billed for Council Tax.

If your Council is not listed above then you should apply for a certificate of registration to confirm in writing that you are a student.

The following links can be used to get more information:

Share this page: