Statement by the University of Leicester: Fire in Maurice Shock Building

Posted by ap507 at Apr 23, 2016 04:05 PM |
Statement at 12 noon on Saturday 23 April

The University of Leicester is working with police and fire investigators with regard to the cause of a fire in the early hours of the morning in the Maurice Shock Building on University Road, Leicester.

The fire affected a lab on the second  floor and there is water and smoke damage in the vicinity.  The extent of the damage is still being determined  and the cause of fire is under investigation.

The Maurice Shock Building is a 1970s building named after the former Vice-Chancellor from 1977-87. It is a five-storey building principally housing research and teaching facilities for the medical sciences.  Since the opening of the new Centre for Medicine next to the building, many research and teaching operations have been transferred to the new building.

University teams will assess over the weekend to what extent the building has been affected and how this will impact on staff and students.

Any teaching or examinations scheduled in the building will be re-located or re-scheduled if required.

ENDS

Share this page: