With the on-going and widening impact of the Coronavirus (Covid-19), many traveller’s plans are having to be rearranged or cancelled. 

The insurance policy ‘should’ respond for cancellation as long as the reason for cancellation can be clearly evidenced as being outside of the traveller’s control,

If the FCO advice remains that it is safe to travel to a destination and the reason for travel remains unchanged from the original booking, the insurance policy would not respond in this instance, as this would be deemed as disinclination to travel.

In the first instance, we would recommend that you act as if you are uninsured – i.e. the decision to travel or cancel should be made irrespective as to whether the insurance policy will reimburse. If you are unsure about your proposed travel (booked or planning), you should speak with your line manager and College Director of Operations.

If you have any queries or concerns, please email or ring 0116 229 7630.

We would recommend that you keep up to date with the following websites:

Staff Travel Request
Student Travel Request
Travel Premiums
Policy Benefits & FAQ's
Claims Guidance
Pre-existing Medical Conditions

Staff Travel Policy Summary

Student Travel Policy Summary

UK and Overseas Travel Guidance for Staff and PGR's

USHP 06a F2 Overseas Travel and Research Risk Assessment


Please note that in accordance with the University's Financial Regulations, all staff and students are required to use the University's travel insurance policy when travelling abroad on University business.

Pure holiday cover cannot be provided, however holiday that is incidental to a business trip (i.e. less days than the number of business days) can be included under this policy.

This policy EXCLUDES travel within the U.K. (defined as England, Scotland, Wales, N.I. and the Isle of Man). Travel cover will apply for the Channel Islands.

Travel insurance requests should be submitted as soon as the travel bookings are made but at least 48 working hours prior to departure. For high risk destinations, we will require at least 5 working days notice.

The UK has left the EU.  There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.  The current rules on trade, travel and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.  New rules will take effect on 1st January 2021.   Check how to get ready for new rules in 2021.

PLEASE NOTE that medical expenses section of the policy will NOT apply if you are travelling to your country of nationality.

A risk assessment must be completed for ALL overseas travel and retained by the department.  For travel to any of the following countries, a copy of the completed risk assessment (signed by Head of Department) MUST be forwarded to the Insurance Office BEFORE travel is booked.   Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Chad, Chechnya (Russia), Cuba, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, North Korea, Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, Syria , Crimea region of Ukraine and Yemen. If you plan to travel to any area where the FCO advise against ALL travel, you MUST contact the insurance office and Safety Services.  Staff risk assessment - Student risk assessment.

Although cover is provided for most pre-existing conditions, cover is excluded for any expenses incurred when travelling against the advice of a Qualified Medical Practitioner. Therefore cover will be fully operative providing you are not travelling against medical advice. You should also ensure that you take sufficient supplies of all medication for the duration of your trip. You should refer to the insurance office if you are in any doubt to the severity of your condition. Any expenses incurred for over the counter pharmacy treatments are excluded. Treatment which in any way arises from or is attributable to any Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection or related syndrome is excluded (unless contracted as a result of a blood transfusion or other medical treatment).

Cover is provided for all students free of charge, for travel that is a course requirement/option and is departmentally approved. The costs for this are met centrally by the University. It is imperative that an application is still made for the cover in order for this to be operative.

In respect of  staff travel, cover can be provided for their accompanying spouse/partner and/or children however a premium would be charged to the individual staff member for this benefit to apply.

Share this page:

Help and Support

Phone: 0116 229 7630


Emergency Contacts:

24/7 Security:

0116 252 2023

Sue Banbury

(Insurance Manager)

07961 564749

Carol Maguire

(Insurance Officer)

07875 443161

Need to make a claim

Please contact the insurance office should you need to make a claim.

Tel:  0116 229 7630 or 7631


Location: Astley Clarke Building, Main Campus.