Pay and RewardMost members of staff are paid in accordance with the University of Leicester’s Single Pay Spine.

All staff paid in this way can normally expect to receive an annual increment until they reach the highest non-discretionary salary point in their salary band.  Staff can check when they will next receive an annual salary increment by referring to their payslip.

Staff can also normally expect to receive a “cost of living” adjustment on an annual basis.  The level of adjustment is determined through national pay bargaining, which is undertaken between UCEA (the Universities and Colleges Employers Association) and the recognised Trade Unions.  Staff can check whether they are entitled to a cost of living adjustment by consulting their contract of employment.

The University regularly undertakes Equal Pay Audits to check that its pay and grading structure has remained fair and consistent since implementation.  Each of the audits, which is undertaken by an independent company, has concluded that the University does not have equal pay or discrimination issues on the basis of pay across members of staff on the Single Pay Spine (covering grades 1 to 9 inclusive).  This confirms the underlying integrity and fairness of the University’s pay and grading structure.

Some members of staff are not paid via the Single Pay Spine, for example:

  • Casual workers – paid on an hourly rate in line with the published scales;
  • Clinical staff – paid in line with the NHS pay and grading structure;
  • Members of staff appointed on a specific government approved scheme such as an apprenticeship;
  • Professorial and Grade 10 staff – salaries are determined annually by the University’s Remunerations Committee, which reports to Council.

In addition, the University normally undertakes an 'Annual Review' to consider and recognise staff performance.  Currently, the two mechanisms are merit awards and promotions.

More detailed information about pay and reward is available from the following links:

If you have any questions about pay, please contact HR for further advice.

Share this page:

ESS Portal

Employee Self-Service is available for staff to update some of their own staff record.  Find out more about Employee Self-Service, or go straight to the online facility by clicking on the button below.ESS Button


Having trouble saving changes?  Get some help.

Need to get in touch?

Find out how you can contact HR