What should I do if I am unwell?


If you are unwell and need advice about minor ailments such as cold, coughs and sore throats etc. you can:                            

Call the telephone helpline NHS Urgent Care (NHS 111). These services will help you self-treat yourself at home. NHS 111 is a confidential 24 hour telephone helpline staffed by expert nurses. By calling 111, you can speak to a nurse for advice at any time day or night. If required there will be an interpreter to provide advice in your own language. 

NHS Choices is an internet site which provides information about health services, a variety of conditions; contraception and advice if you are not feeling too good (even for things like a hangover). It also has details of major self-help groups.       

Ask your local pharmacist. Pharmacists can give you advice about how to deal with a range of minor illness without having to make an appointment. This advice includes what medication you could take to help. You can ask the pharmacist for advice even if you don’t buy anything. Staff in all of the above services are trained to direct you to a doctor if required.

See a doctor

If you are unwell and need to see a doctor you will need to make an appointment with the health centre where you are registered. If this is Victoria Park Health Centre you can telephone 01162 151105, go in person or make the appointment over the internet (this requires additional registration in advance). Opening times for Victoria Park Health Centre can be found at www.victoriaparkhealthcentre.co.uk

If you are not well enough to visit your doctor call the Health Centre before 11am. The decision to make a home visit is made by 12 a doctor and is based on medical need. Having no transport is not a valid reason for requesting a visit.

Where do I go if I need to see a GP when the health centre is closed?

111 is the number you should call for a GP appointment when your GP practice is closed. You will be given an appointment to attend a Walk in Centre or Urgent Care Centre.

You are also able to attend a Walk in Centre where you will be seen by an experienced nurse without an appointment. For more information on locations and opening times visit www.nhs.uk/111

What should I do if there is an emergency?

In the event of an emergency such as -:
• Severe breathing difficulties
• Unconsciousness
• Severe blood loss
• Suspected broken bones
• Severe chest pain
• A serious accident

You should go to the Accident and Emergency Department at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. An ambulance should only be requested for cases which are life threatening; if an ambulance is required, dial 999 (calls are free from all telephones including mobiles).

If you are away from Leicester go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department.

What if I need health care away from Leicester?

If you travel away from Leicester for a short period of time you will be eligible for NHS treatment wherever you go in the United Kingdom. It is sensible to take your NHS card with you and if you need to see a doctor for urgent care you can register as a temporary resident.
If you are travelling or studying abroad you may be eligible for free treatment or treatment at a reduced rate throughout the European Community. To obtain treatment you will need to have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). More information can be found at www.nhs.uk/ehic

If you are a student from another country in the European Union or European Economic Area you should obtain your EHIC card from your home country and use this card if you require health care in any country in the European Union.

All students are advised to have additional medical and travel insurance when travelling anywhere abroad to ensure adequate cover for all eventualities and repatriation.

Share this page:

Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service

The Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service  offers advice and information to students about mental health and wellbeing. We will be happy to meet with you to discuss your situation.


E-mail us

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on welfare@le.ac.uk or call us on 0116 2231185