Pay and Income Tax

How do I contact the HMRC Tax Office?

HM Revenue & Customs

Telephone: 0300 200 3300

When contacting the Tax Office regarding tax queries you will need to quote the University's tax reference number - 267/U27 and your National Insurance number (which can be found on your online salary statement.

What is the University's tax reference number?

Our tax reference is 267/U27.

How do I apply for a National Insurance Number?

By contacting the Jobcentre Plus NI Allocation helpline on 0345 600 0643

Further information about National Insurance numbers and the application process, can be found on the NI number section of the DWP website.

I'm leaving, when do I get my P45?

Once we have been informed by HR that you are leaving we will make your final payment to include any holiday pay due on the normal pay day. Your P45 and final payslip will be sent to your home address.

When do I get my P60?

You can access your latest P60 through the Employee Self Service facility. P60's will be available to download from ESS in April, following the end of the tax year.

Why is the pay figure on my P60 different from the gross pay on my payslips for the year?

Your P60 shows the amount of your taxable pay, that is to say your gross pay less any pension contributions which are tax free. The figures for pay and tax on your P60 should be the same as taxable pay and tax to date shown in your online payslip for March.

Employment Status Questionnaire 

Where an individual is due to supply a service to the University and wishes to be treated as self-employed for tax purposes, an Employment Status Questionnaire should be completed and submitted to the Tax Team in advance of the engagement so that they can determine whether or not self-employed status is appropriate.

Starter Checklist: for new employees without a Form P45 (replaces P46)

The Starter Checklist is an HMRC form that new employees are required to complete if they do not have a P45 from a previous employment. Once completed the form should be sent to:  Payroll Office, University of Leicester, University road, Leicester, LE1 7RH

I would like to cancel a deduction from my pay?

1) Car Park – Contact the Security Office on extension 1282 or 5698.

2) Sports Card – Contact the Sports & Recreation Services on 2719144.

3) Pension Contributions – Contact the appropriate Pension provider

4) Union Subscription – In writing to the Payroll Office & Union Representative.

Share this page: