Leicester International Summer School
The main aims of this three week course are to help participants to improve their ability to communicate in English in everyday situations, while also learning more about British culture in enjoyable surroundings. It also aims to give participants an insight into life in the UK and its higher education system.
- Improve your English skills in an academic and friendly environment.
- Discover more about British culture, featuring films, literature, history and museums.
- Find out what it is like to live and study at a renowned British university.
- Make friends with other students from around the world.
- Enhance your CV with an international study experience.
- Experience living in a vibrant and student friendly city situated in the heart of England.
The three week course contains the following:
- A comprehensive induction programme, including an introduction to the City of Leicester.
- 32 hours of general English classes, with special focus on speaking and listening skills.
- Seminars and lectures on British culture, focusing on film studies, museum studies and English literature, with particular emphasis on Shakespeare. To find out more about courses at the University of Leicester in these areas, please click on the links.
- Three themed weekend excursions aimed at developing knowledge and skills gained in the classroom. More information is provided below.
- Fun evening social activities.
- Some free time, making it possible to visit other cities or places of interest independently.
- An end-of-course presentation ceremony and tutor feedback.
- Visit historical Stratford-upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare. Explore the many sites associated with Shakespeare in the town and attend a matinee performance of one of his famous plays.
- Spend a day in London, one of the world’s great cities, and enjoy its history, culture, sightseeing and shopping.
- Discover the fascinating history of Richard III, the last Plantagenet King of England, by visiting Bosworth Battlefield, where he lost his crown, before moving onto the King Richard III Visitor Centre to find out how the University made an amazing discovery.
- Find out more about the City of Leicester
- Find out more about the English Language Teaching Unit
- Download the Leicester International Summer School brochure
The summer school will take place between 8th August and 27th August 2016.
The final day in Leicester, including the presentation ceremony, will take place on Friday 26th August with a day trip to London planned for 27th August. Participants are free by arrangement to leave the itinerary in London rather than return to Leicester.
Accommodation will be available from Sunday 7th August to Saturday 27th August inclusive.
Applications close at the end of June 2016.
Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Students must be aged 18 or over.
Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre.
Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with a washbasin and will share kitchen and bathroom facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included.
£1,750 per person.
£1,600 for participants from University of Leicester partner institutions.
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance
- A T-shirt and farewell gift
- Access to University of Leicester facilities
What's not included:
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the itinerary
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
To find out more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org