Applying for accommodation

This information is for students with disabilities and long term conditions

The University encourages students to think carefully about their accommodation needs.  You may want the highest level of accommodation but actually ‘need’ fewer facilities than the highest level of accommodation offers.  

When completing your accommodation application form you should:

1)      disclose your disability or long term condition and say which type of room you need

If you are dyslexic, for example, and you use study strategies which mean you talk out loud or use software on your computer that talks out loud, you need a single room.  You do not necessarily need your own bathroom, although you may want one!

If you have a long term condition which means you need to have access to an en-suite bathroom, or an en-suite, adapted bathroom, you must make this clear on your accommodation application form.  By ‘long term condition’ the University means Asperger syndrome, Obsessive compulsive disorder, Crohn’s Disease, Chronic fatigue syndrome and so on. 

If you are a student who uses a wheelchair you will have the opportunity to have a room with an en-suite adapted bathroom on the ground floor.  There are also 3 pairs of rooms at Oadby village which have student/carer’s rooms connected if required.

If you are a student who is deaf or has a hearing impairment there are halls fitted with equipment which will alert you to the emergency alarms going off by means of flashing lights and/or vibrating pagers.  If you have lost hearing in one ear only, you still need to have access to this sort of equipment.

You can discuss the options with AccessAbility Centre staff and you can also visit accommodation during Open Days and UCAS visit days.

2)     If you disclose a medical condition or disability you will need to send in a doctor’s letter to confirm this with your accommodation application form. 

As you have to have a letter for the Accommodation Office, you can save the doctor’s time by asking him/her to include other information to confirm your examination arrangements and also act as your evidence for your Disabled Students' Allowance application.  To cover all of these things ask your doctor or consultant for a letter that:

a) confirms your condition

b) states how long you have had it

c) states how it will impact on your course

d) confirms your exam arrangements – 25% extra time or whatever it is

e) confirms that you need a single room/en-suite bathroom – or whatever it is

f) includes a general statement that you should be awarded any extra funding available to you - if the doctor is willing to do this

Keep the original letter and post a copy in to the Accommodation Office.   Bring the original letter into the AccessAbility Centre when you arrive at the University.

If you are dyslexic or have a specific learning difficulty you will have an Educational Psychologist’s report and you will need to send in the relevant page which summarises and confirms your specific learning difficulty. You will need to bring the entire report into the AccessAbility Centre eventually.  There will be more information in the letter sent out with AccessAbility Centre information in June/September.

3)      Cost

Rooms with an en-suite adapted bathroom are the same cost as any other room with an en-suite room. 

If you are in en-suite accommodation due to a disability or long term condition then this type of accommodation is more expensive than a single room with no bathroom.  In this case, you should raise this issue when you go to your assessment for your Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).  Some Local Authorities have agreed in the past that the difference in cost between an en-suite room and a single room with no bathroom can be met from the DSA.  It is not known what view Student Finance England will take on this and so the best thing to do is ask about at it your DSA assessment appointment.  This is likely to be at one of the Assessment Centres which are part of the National Network of Assessment Centres - see

4)     Completing the online form

The online form will ask you to make four choices of accommodation.  If you have to have a specific type of room, put this down as your first choice.  It may be that you have to put other choices in the other 3 slots, even though you have to be in the room notes in choice 1.  This should not matter, but do ensure that you tick the box that asks whether you have a medical condition or disability and also that you complete the box which asks for further details of your situation - mention that you have been in touch with the AccessAbility Centre (AAC) and this should ensure that your application links up with the memo that the AAC has also sent to the Accommodation Office confirming your room choice. 

If you need to have a fridge in your room for the storage of medicines, a small 'conference' fridge can be made available to you.  There is no charge for this service but do mention it in the further details box.

Share this page:

Contact Us

+44 (0)116 252 5002

or visit us on the ground floor of the Library

The AccessAbility Centre is open 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, during both terms and vacations. Contact us if you would like to speak with someone outside of these hours.


AccessAble logo

The University of Leicester is committed to equal access to our facilities. DisabledGo has a detailed accessibility guide for the David Wilson Library.