If you stutter or stammer – what can you do?

  • Go to your doctor and ask to be referred via the NHS for speech and language therapy assessment.
  • Consider going to a speech and language therapist privately.  You would have to pay all costs connected with the assessment and any therapies suggested.  Contact the AccessAbility Centre for further details of a therapist in the Leicester area or see the website of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice - http://www.helpwithtalking.com/
  • The AccessAbility Centre has a video available for loan ‘If you stutter: advice for adults’ made by the Stuttering Foundation of America which can be watched on a VHS player in the basement of the David Wilson Library.  The film is 55mins long and you will be required to hand in your library card for the duration of the loan. 
  • Do a google search on the web for both ‘stuttering’ and ‘stammering’ as there are many useful sites worth reading, for example:
    The British Stammering Association http://www.stammering.org/
    The Stuttering Foundation of America http://www.stutteringhelp.org/


Share this page:

Contact Us

+44 (0)116 252 5002


or visit us on the ground floor of the Library

The AccessAbility Centre is open 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, during both terms and vacations. Contact us if you would like to speak with someone outside of these hours.


AccessAble logo

The University of Leicester is committed to equal access to our facilities. DisabledGo has a detailed accessibility guide for the David Wilson Library.