Other support available

Other support available

•    The AccessAbility Centre (AAC)  provides a range of services.  If you are eligible and apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) then the AAC facilities are open to you.  If you did not apply before arriving at University it is not too late.  You can apply for the DSA and ask for support at any time during your course.

Contact the AAC on 0116 252 5002

Or email at : accessable@le.ac.uk

•   The Learning Development Service is open to all students for help with study skills such as: essay writing, maths support, dissertations and research techniques.

•    Student Welfare Service is for students with personal and financial difficulties.  If you are without money for food or travelling to campus e.g. because your student loan is late, or if you have an  unexpected expense, they will probably be able to help: perhaps with a cash handout or a small interest free loan. If you are ill and need to take time out of university they will help you through the process.  The people who work in Welfare are very knowledgeable about support, loans, grants, finances and University regulations.

Contact them at:

Student Welfare Service - 1st Floor Percy Gee Building

Tel: +44(0)116 223 1185

Email: welfare@le.ac.uk

•    Mental Wellbeing and Counselling Services can be useful for some students with AS.  If you have anxiety difficulties, depression or other mental health problems, regular meetings with a counsellor can be very helpful.  If you already see a counsellor it might be useful to continue at university.  University based services can liaise with your current counsellor and see you as required on campus.Some counsellors cannot do long term work. If so they will help you seek a referral to the local NHS services.  A Mental Well-Being Adviser might be able to offer less intensive, but still useful, long term guidance and support.

•    The Students’ Union has support and advice services that are available to all students.  Each university will have a Union Office, their leaflets will tell you what they can do. There are student liaison officers who can help with a wide range of difficulties.  There is usually an organisation called ‘Nightline’ which runs a helpline between 8pm and 8 am that students with worries or anxiety can call on 01162231230.

•    Medical Facilities for students at university are often on site or nearby.  At Leicester students usually register with the Victoria Park Health Centre.  It can be useful to register with the NHS practice associated with the university.  They are familiar with what the university wants with regards to sick notes etc. When you go home you can see your former GP as a ‘visitor patient’.  If you stay with your family GP that is fine; you can still see the university doctors as a ‘visitor patient’.

If you are ill it is important to let people know.  At least try to contact your parent/carer so that they can organise help for you.  They will usually find it easier to contact the residential advisers or hall of residence manager, the AAC and your support worker if you have one.  The local NHS trust will have on-line information about Drop-In Centres where people not registered with a doctor can go.

Contact Us

+44 (0)116 252 5002


or visit us on the ground floor of the Library

The AccessAbility Centre is open 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, during both terms and vacations. Contact us if you would like to speak with someone outside of these hours.


DisabledGo logo

The University of Leicester is committed to equal access to our facilities. DisabledGo has a detailed accessibility guide for the David Wilson Library.