Personal Tutor

A Personal Tutor is member of the academic staff who can give advice about your studies, your university life in general and all the different paper work you have to do.  They will give you official warnings if you are not attending properly and if you are getting behind with your studies.  They will help you to seek support if you need it.

If you are not introduced during registration or induction programme you will probably get an email from your personal tutor early in your first week. 

In some departments however, new students are told who their personal tutor is and then the student has to email the tutor to introduce themselves.  There is an example email in the resources section that you can use to do this. 

If you cannot email your tutor, ask for help.  Get a parent or carer to contact the AccessAbility Centre ( or Tess Coll ( to let us know you need support for this.

If you do not like, or get on with, the people supporting you, ask for a change of personnel.  This does not mean you can dismiss people because you do not like the advice they give (it might be something you are doing/not doing and you are wrong).  

It does mean that if meeting them is unpleasant and/or they are not giving the help you need in the way that works for you, then they might not be the right person for you.  In this case, the change is reasonable although there may be a delay in finding another person to work with you.


Contact Us

+44 (0)116 252 5002

or visit us on the ground floor of the Library

The AccessAbility Centre is open 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, during both terms and vacations. Contact us if you would like to speak with someone outside of these hours.


AccessAble logo

The University of Leicester is committed to equal access to our facilities. DisabledGo has a detailed accessibility guide for the David Wilson Library.