I need to travel somewhere on University business.  How do I arrange it?

You can either arrange your own travel and claim the cost back on an expense claim form (EC1), or contact the departmental Finance Team on, or Ext 7040 for advice and guidance.  The University’s preferred supplier is Key Travel

Booking travel including flights, hotels, rail and car parking:

Please ensure your travel has been agreed by the budget holder (PI or line manager) prior to booking.

  • If you are not registered with Key Travel (either as a traveller, or as a booker of travel), please contact the Finance Team on, or Ext 7040.


  • It will be possible to hold your selected travel for 24 hours.  You will then have the option to send your choice to a member of the Finance Team (see below) with a valid charge code for final booking.

**As travel is only held for 24 hours please ensure the Finance Team member you are sending the details to is available to book the travel within this timeframe**

  • Travel can also be booked by phone, please call: 0845 2668865 for the TOPAZ team


  • Key Travel will require a purchase order number to finalise a booking which will be provided by the departmental Finance Team.


  • Cheaper flights may be purchased by the traveller personally and claimed back on expenses (EC1 form) - only if the price cannot be matched by Key Travel - Key Travel offer flights from budget airlines and also provide exclusive academic airfares.


Research Grant travel requests should be sent to Kerry Warner Ext 7041

Departmental account travel requests should be sent to Kodou Sallah Ext 7045

Alternative travel booker Amanda Fisher Ext 7040

Traveller Profile:

Frequent travellers can create a profile to make future bookings easier.  This will store your personal information such as contact details and passport number and can be created using the following link

Travel insurance must be taken for all overseas travel.

Please arrange insurance using the following link:

Information about using your own vehicle or booking a hire car (hire cars must be arranged via the Finance Team).

Who is my Departmental contact for this process?

Members of the departmental Finance Team on Ext 7040

I need to travel to a conference

Please see information about attending conferences -

Will I need University travel insurance?

All staff and students traveling overseas on University business MUST have University travel insurance.  Even if you have your own personal travel insurance which says it covers you for business purposes, it is mandatory that you have University travel insurance.  You will be required to declare that you have the appropriate cover in place in any expense claim pertaining to the trip.

How do I arrange my travel insurance?

  1. Book your travel insurance via this link.  Click on 'staff travel request' in the ‘documentation’ box, which will direct you to the relevant on-line form
  2. Complete the on-line form
  3. When you are asked about the ‘project code’ (for the charging) please put your grant code if you are charging the insurance to a grant.  If you would be charging the cost to a MIF/DDF/departmental account, then the University is absorbing these costs, so please leave that box blank.
  4. Submit the form and you should receive your policy via email
  5. Once you have received your insurance policy, please ensure that you forward it on to, as we have to keep central records here with the finance files.  Please do this for each policy you arrange.  (We have not seen any personal medical details on policies we have received so far, but please check your policy wording before forwarding it to if you are concerned).

Going overseas with a University laptop?

Please ensure that you have read this document about encrypted laptops.

What are the relevant University policies or guidance?

University financial regulations regarding travel and subsistence

University travel insurance

Departmental guidance about claiming expenses -

Share this page:

Contact Details

Department of Molecular and Cell Biology

T: +44(0)116 229 7038

Map with link to google maps geotag of Henry Wellcome

Henry Wellcome Building - University of Leicester, Lancaster Rd, LE1 7HB

Postal: Henry Wellcome Building, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH

Directions on Arrival to The Henry Wellcome Building

Student complaints procedure


AccessAble logo

The University of Leicester is committed to equal access to our facilities. DisabledGo has a detailed accessibility guide for the Henry Wellcome Building.