New Students 2017

If you’re an applicant who has an offer to study with us in September, then this information is for you. Here you can find lots of details that will help you start your law degree.

Useful contacts

Frequently asked questions

1. Do I need to do any prior reading?

No, however students that do want to do some prior reading may find our advice on preparing to study law at university useful.

2. When do I select my modules / courses?

All first year subject modules (also known as subjects, courses or options) are compulsory so students will not be contacted regarding module choices or need to create their own timetables. You will get information about your timetable during the first week.

3. How / when do I apply for accommodation and which halls of residence should I chose?

The Admissions Office will email you with information about how to make an application for a room in the University's Halls of Residence. Please note that you can only apply for accommodation when you have made us your "firm" choice. Once your offer becomes "unconditional" the Accommodation Office will allocate you a room and email you with further information.

All information, including applying for a room, room types, arrival dates and arrangements and contact details, can be found on the University Accommodation office website.

Students may chose to live in any of the Halls of Residence. The Oadby Student Village is very popular with new university students and the City Living halls (Opal Court, The Grange and Nixon Court in particular) are more popular amongst older students and overseas students.

4. Where can I find out about private accommodation?

You may find this information from the Student Welfare Service useful.

5. How / when do I apply for a visa? (overseas students only)

All information – including how and when to apply for a visa, our sponsor licence number and CAS information – will be provided by the University’s Admissions Office and Student Welfare Service. Please note you will not be contacted until you have made Leicester your ‘firm’ choice and your offer is made ‘unconditional’.

6. How / when do I pay my fees? (overseas students only)

Your tuition fees will be confirmed in writing on your offer letter and on your CAS statement. You do not have to pay a deposit to reserve your place. All information - including how and when to pay your fees - will be provided by the fees payments office. Please note that you will not be contacted until you have made us your “firm” choice and your offer is made “unconditional”.

7. How can I check if you have had my fee payment?

You must contact

8. What is the Early Arrivals and International Welcome Week?

This is a programme of events for international students and those arriving early at the University which is designed to help them find their way around and meet new people. More information and the timetable of activities.

9. Do I need health insurance? (overseas students only)

No. Students coming from outside the UK do not need to organise health insurance as they are entitled to use the National Health Service (NHS). The Healthy Living Service provide a guide to the NHS for international students on their website.

10. Where can I get advice about student loans?

Students from the UK / EU should see the loan information on the Student and Academic services page. Canadian students requiring the completion of documentation for OSAP, StudentAid BC etc can contact the Law School on

11. Can I apply for scholarships?

Information on Current University scholarships.

12. When will I get access to my University of Leicester computer account?

Your student computer account will be created as part of the registration process in the summer. Your timetable will be only available via this account from the start of term.

13. What support is there for students with a disability?

If you have a disability, it is important that you contact the AccessAbility centre early so that they can tell you about support and services that are available to you.

14. Where can I find out about societies (other than the Law societies)?

Societies – ranging from the Baking Society to quidditch – are organised by the Student’s Union. You can sign up during the Fresher’s Fair during the first days of term.

15. Can I continue with my favourite sport at Leicester?

There are many sports clubs available – including American Football, Badminton, Rugby and Volleyball. You can sign up during the Fresher’s Fair during the first days of term.

Student in the David Wilson Library

Share this page:

Meet other Law students

Take a look on Facebook for the following groups

  • Law students at the University of Leicester
  • University of Leicester Law Society
  • University of Leicester Canadian Law Society
  • ELSA Leicester
Leicester Law School LLB undergraduate course enquiries

Charlotte Naylor
tel +44 (0)116 229 7764

Leicester Law School 
University of Leicester
University Road
United Kingdom

UCAS Visit Days for Law applicants

Read our Law student blogs