What is the Departmental procedure for claiming expenses?

  1. Obtain prior approval from your line manager/budget holder
  2. Familiarise yourself with the University's financial regulations about claiming expenses, and what are allowable expenses on your grant (if they differ).
  3. Familairise yourself with the University's mileage rates (please refer to point 3 on the 'important notes' below)
  4. Incur the expense, complete an EC1 form and ensure that a 'charge code' is clearly stated in the column provided.
  5. Attach any supporting information (including receipts which should always be itemised and numbered with the corresponding line on the claim form).  If you have a number of receipts, it is helpful if you lay them out on a blank page of A4 and staple them to the sheet in the order they appear on the claim, then attach the sheet to your EC1 form.
  6. Obtain a signature on the EC1 form from the budget holder
  7. Forward the EC1 form (along with supporting documentation) to Cheryl Adams, cma9@le.ac.uk, 0116 252 5471
  8. Ensure that you make your claim within 3 months
  9. Provided your form has been completed accurately, it should be processed and sent off for payment within a matter of days, and you should receive payment directly into your bank account in around 2 weeks after it has been received by the Finance Office.  Your form may be returned to you if it has not been completed correctly and this will result in a delay in you receiving your payment.


1) Foreign expenses:- Claimants need to convert foreign currency expenses into UK Sterling on the EC1 form. Evidence is required for the exchange rate used, for example if you have bought the item on credit/debit card the rate at which this expense was converted on your credit card statement (provide a copy and redact personal or irrelevant information), or if you paid cash the rate of exchange you received when you bought your foreign currency (attach the receipt).  The exchange rate as of the date of the first claim should be used for long trips.  This supporting information MUST be attached to your claim.

2) Claim within 3 months: - Expense claims must be submitted Cheryl Adams, cma9@le.ac.uk, 0116 252 5471 as soon as possible and no later than three months after the date on which the expense was incurred. All claims must be supported by receipts wherever the supplier can reasonably be expected to provide a receipt.

3) Business Car Insurance when claiming mileage – the EC1 form requires you to sign (for each claim) to say that if you are claiming car mileage for your personal vehicle, that you have business cover in place on your personal car insurance, that you have a valid MOT certificate, that you are licensed to drive and your car is in a roadworthy condition.

4) Mileage claims - the EC1 form requires you to state your vehicle registration and emissions if you are claiming for mileage

5) Travel Insurance – if you are claiming for overseas travel you will sign the form to confirm that you have purchased University travel insurance for this journey.  Please ensure to forward a copy of your University travel insurance policy to Cheryl Adams, cma9@le.ac.uk, 0116 252 5471

    What are the Department's responsibilities?

    • To ensure that expense claims meet with the University's financial regulations
    • To ensure that claim forms are correctly and accurately completed prior to being sent off to Finance for payment
    • To ensure that all necessary supporting documentation (ie, receipts, proof of exchange rates etc) accompany each claim
    • To ensure that claims are not made against grants for dis-allowable items
    • To ensure that funds are available
    • To ensure that claims are processed in a timely manner to avoid delays in staff being reimbursed
    • To retain appropriate records and documentation
    • To resolve any queries surrounding payments of expenses and to provide advice and guidance to staff where required
    • To ensure that staff are regularly reminded of the need to submit expenses within 3 months of the expense being incurred, and that they are updated if there are any changes in University or Departmental procedures.

    Who is my Departmental contact for this process?

    Cheryl Adams, cma9@le.ac.uk, 0116 252 5471

    What are the relevant University policies or guidance?

    University's expenses claim form (EC1)

    University's financial regulations in relation to claiming expenses

    Share this page: