Attendance and Annual Leave

Research students are required to meet all departmental and university attendance obligations and requirements. Failure to meet attendance obligations will result in a withdrawal of registration.

Research degree courses run throughout the calendar year and are not split into terms. There are consequently no term-time breaks and details of the annual leave entitlements for research students are shown below.

Annual Leave

Research students are entitled to take annual leave in line with the following:

  • Full-time students may normally take up to 24 days of annual leave during each calendar year.
  • Part-time students may normally take up to 12 days pro-rata of annual leave during each calendar year.

Requests for annual leave must be made through the supervisory team and recorded by the Department. Requests to take leave for a period of more than one month shall not normally be approved.

In addition to the annual leave entitlement, there are a number of United Kingdom public holidays and a further number of days in each year which are allocated by the University as closure days around the Christmas and Easter periods.

International Students

International students must ensure that they comply with all attendance monitoring requirements regardless of any annual leave.

International full-time students who are sponsored under Tier 4 of the Points Based System and who fail to meet their attendance obligations will be reported to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in line with the University's legal obligations.

International students who return home during a period of annual leave and whose return to the UK will be delayed must inform their department.

Sponsored Students

Sponsored research students must comply with any conditions for taking leave that are associated with the terms of their sponsorship.


Research students who suffer a minor illness for a period of less than seven days must report it to the Department where this may have affected their ability to meet their academic obligations.

Research students who suffer an illness of more than seven days’ duration or that is of a non-minor nature must seek medical advice and obtain a medical certificate. A copy of the medical certificate must be provided to the Department and to the Doctoral College Office.  Medical certificates submitted should be in English.  Where the original is in another language students are responsible for ensuring that it is submitted with a verified translation. 

The research student shall be responsible for providing such documentation as shall be required by the University as evidence of their illness or of their fitness to resume the research degree programme.

Share this page: