Withdrawal from Programme

If you wish to permanently withdraw from your research degree after you have registered then you will need to complete a Notification of Withdrawal Form.

If you are considering withdrawing then we would encourage you to discuss this with your supervisors first. You may wish to also consider temporarily suspending your programme if the issues that are affecting your ability to work are short-term in nature.

Request Withdrawal from Your Programme

Step 1   Discuss Your Proposed Withdrawal with Your Supervisors

If you are considering withdrawing from your studies we would recommend that you discuss this with your supervisor first.

You may wish to also consult with:

Student Welfare Service - who can give you immigration advice

Student Counselling Service

Step 2 Complete a Notification of Withdrawal Form

Please complete a Notification of Withdrawal form:

Word Notification of Withdrawal

Please note that if you receive a University stipend or are employed by the University as a GTA/GRA you may also need to complete other documentation and we would advise you to raise this with your supervisor who can advise you of any further documentation that you need to complete.

Step 3 Submit Your Notification Form to the Doctoral College Office

You can return your form by email to pgresearch@le.ac.uk, in person to the Service Desk, Student Services Centre, ground floor of the Charles Wilson Building, or by post to:

Doctoral College Office
University of Leicester
University Road


Step 4 Make Your Travel Arrangements (International Full-Time Research Students)

If you are a full-time international student and you are studying here on a Tier 4 student visa obtained using a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) then we will need to report your withdrawal to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You should take immediate steps to return home.

Resuming Your Registration

Withdrawing from your studies will end your place on your course and there is no opportunity to re-instate your studies at a later date.

If however your circumstances change and you wish to apply for a new course and register as a new applicant in the future then you would need to discuss this with our postgraduate admissions team who can advise you on the process for applying.

Please note that if we have ended your studies or you have outstanding fees then it will not be possible for you to register for another course in the future.

Share this page: