Mental Wellbeing Links and Contacts

Telephone Box
Image courtesy of bplanet at
We hope that you have found this guide useful and that it will help you to better understand and manage your own mental wellbeing over the course of your research degree.

If you need further advice, there are many other support materials and resources available online. There are also University and external support services that you can contact for further advice. The University support services listed below are open to all research students whether or not you are based in the UK. The external support services listed are UK-based; research students based outside the UK may want to look for relevant local support services.

If you are having thoughts of self-harming or are feeling suicidal, contact someone immediately - such as your doctor, a friend, a relative, or someone else you can trust.

University Support Services
Student Welfare Centre

Advice on financial matters, immigration, housing, and legal issues

Mental Wellbeing Service

Practical and emotional one-to-one and group support

Counselling Service

Time-limited, free, and confidential counselling

Healthy Living Service

Advice on healthy living and access to health care services

AccessAbility Centre

Support for specific learning difficulties, disabilities, or long-term conditions

Doctoral College Office

Advice on registration, suspensions, withdrawals, extensions

Students' Union Education Unit

Advice if you are unhappy with the academic support you are receiving

University Chaplaincy

Welcomes students and postgraduates of any faith or none

Other Support Services

There are many external support services providing advice, guidance, and someone who will listen to you.

The following is just a small selection; details of other mental wellbeing support providers are available from the NHS Choices Website and the Mental Wellbeing Service have details of local support providers.


An anonymous telephone counselling line, or you can see someone in person between 9.30am and 9.30pm.

The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you can talk to them about any issue troubling you.


A confidential and anonymous telephone listening, support, and information service.

It is run by students, providing emotional support to students in distress.

PAPYRUS - Prevention of Young Suicide

HOPELine is a confidential helpline, staffed by trained professionals who give non-judgmental support, practical advice, and information to anyone under the age of 35 who is feeling suicidal or to anyone concerned that a young person they know may be at risk of suicide.

HOPELine is available Monday-Friday 10.00am - 10.00pm; Saturday-Sunday 2.00pm - 5.00pm

Victim Support

Provides emotional and practical support to victims of crime. The helpline is available Monday-Friday 9.30am - 5.00pm (until 8.00pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)


Relate can help you make the most of your couple and family relationships - past, present, or future. They can help you even if you are not currently in a relationship.

Relate offers in-person, email, and telephone counselling - for details, please see the Relate Website. Please note that fees are payable for these services.

Cruse - Bereavement Care

Provides support after the death of someone close. The helpline is available Monday-Friday 8.00am - 8.00pm; Saturday-Sunday 9.00am - 7.00pm

No Panic

Support for sufferers of panic attacks and Obssessive Compulsion Disorder (OCD). The helpline is staffed by trained volunteers who can provide information, show empathy, and support anxiety sufferers.

Health Services

All new research students are strongly encouraged to register with a local doctor. Research students living near to the University may wish to register with the Victoria Park Health Centre which is located adjacent to the main campus.

For more advice on accessing health care services, consult the University Healthy Living Service's leaflet Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Your Health - How to Get Help and Advice.

Seeking Advice for Minor Ailments

If you are unwell and need advice about minor ailments you can:

  • use the NHS111 service - if you urgently need medical help or advice but it is not a life-threatening situation, call 111; the service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and calls are free from landlines and mobile phones
  • use the NHS Choices online guides - search for your symptoms and find advice on treatments
  • ask your local pharmacist - pharmacists can often give you advice about how to deal with a range of minor illness without you having to first make an appointment

Seeking Advice from a Doctor

If you are unwell and need to see a doctor you will need to make an appointment with the health centre where you are
registered. Appointments can usually be made in person, by phone, and often online via the health centre's own website.

When the health centre is closed you can see a doctor at either of the following centres:

Research students living outside of Leicester should seek advice from their health centre on out-of-hours health care facilities.

Seeking Advice in an Emergency

In the event of an emergency you should go to the Accident and Emergency Department at the Leicester Royal Infirmary or your local hospital.

An ambulance should only be requested for cases which are life threatening - if an ambulance is required call 999.

Managing the Journey - Mental Wellbeing for PhD/MPhil Students

The Doctoral College's Top Four Tips for Mental Wellbeing in Your Research Degree:

  1. Understand what mental wellbeing is and why it matters
  2. Manage your mental wellbeing as a research student
  3. Develop and use personal and professional support networks
  4. Don't ignore problems and use the help that is available

Mental Wellbeing Links and Contacts


Share this page: