X at Leicester
This is the homepage of your site.
Whilst the overall name for the Dept site (the one on the tab area) should be ‘Department of <insert name>’ e.g. Department of Chemistry, the homepage should carry the title ‘<insert name> at Leicester’ e.g. Chemistry at Leicester. The folder for the site should be called by the subject name only e.g. Chemistry.
Beyond that we recommend that homepages carry the following:
- A brief outline of the Department’s activity and perhaps some bullet points linking to key pages
- Good imagery - contact the web team about using appropriate and relevant imagery and photography
- A relevant banner image (link takes you to the Web Centre)
- Contacts details portlet – address, telephone number and email
- Portlet(s) to draw attention to special content
When you go to an online bookstore to buy a book you don't read through a long history of the book store's successes before you get the option to buy. A department site is the same - essentially it is selling courses and promoting key bits of frequently accessed information. It needs links and actions. It also needs to be succinct.