PhD and MPhil Supervisors - Work With Leading Researchers
Our research degree programmes are firmly rooted in our strong research culture.
As a major research institution we can offer research degree programmes in a wide variety of fields and you can benefit from working with internationally recognised scholars and researchers who are at the frontiers of their disciplines.
All of our postgraduate researchers are allocated a member of our academic staff as their personal supervisor. As well as being an expert in their field, they will help you to:
- plan and manage your research
- broaden your knowledge of research developments in your field
- develop your understanding of relevant research methodology
- develop your broader research and professional capabilities
- build your profile within the research community
Through regular consultations your supervisor will monitor your progress, provide guidance as as needed, and be your first point of contact for help and advice.
Your Support Network
Your supervisor will be your primary contact for guidance relating to your research, but they are only one part of a much broader support network. In addition to an allocated supervisor, you will have a personal "thesis committee" which is likely to include:
- your main supervisor – who carries primary responsibility for your supervision
- a second supervisor or advisor – who can offer further academic advice
- the departmental postgraduate tutor – who is involved in monitoring your progress but is independent of the supervisory team
The advantage of the thesis committee system is that you have a single point of contact – your main supervisor – but there are also others who are familiar with your work and can offer support and advice.
Beyond your thesis committee you will have access to other sources of support and advice, including your College's Director of Postgraduate Research, the Graduate Dean, and our specialist personal support services.
Find a PhD or MPhil Supervisor
Learn more about our research expertise and the range of research areas in which our staff are available to offer supervision to PhD and MPhil candidates.