A Top Ten UK Research University
The University of Leicester is one of the UK's leading research universities:
- 2012 QS World University Rankings place us in the Top 10 in the UK and Top 100 in the world for research citations
- 2011 Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities place us in the top 2% of world universities
- It was at Leicester that the technique of genetic fingerprinting was first developed
- Our researchers are leading the search for King Richard III
The last UK Research Assessment Exercise confirmed this position:
- We have one of the highest proportions in the UK of staff who are research active
- 87% of staff submitted were assessed as producing research of international significance
- Our School of Museum Studies was found to have the greatest concentration of world-leading researchers of any department, in any subject, in any university, anywhere in the UK
Learn more about the University's groundbreaking research in our new series of research videos.
Find a PhD or MPhil in Your Subject
As a major research institution we can offer research degrees in a wide variety of fields and means that our research degree candidates benefit from working with staff and supervisors who are at the frontiers of their disciplines.
Learn more about why we are the natural choice for the next generation of world-class researchers - find a PhD or MPhil in your subject.