The Graduate School - A Vibrant and Diverse Research Community
Our Graduate School is one of the largest in the UK and our research student community has some 1,300 members; postgraduates make up nearly 50% of our total student population - reflecting the central place held by postgraduate education in the University's mission.
Despite its size, the University's Graduate School is a friendly and welcoming environment to postgraduates of all disciplines.
A Diverse Research Community
The 2012 QS World University Rankings place us in the Top 10 in the UK and Top 100 in the world for research citations - so it is no surprise that so many researchers from outside the UK choose us. Around 40% of our full-time campus based postgraduate researchers come from outside the EU and we have significant numbers of research degree candidates from China, India, Nigeria, Malaysia, Pakistan, Taiwan, the USA, and Saudi Arabia.
Meet Our Postgraduate Researchers
Don't take our word for it though - let some of our research students tell you themselves why they chose the University of Leicester:
Raising Your Profile as a Researcher
A crucial step in your development will be raising your profile as a researcher and making yourself known in the research community within the University and beyond. We provide a range of opportunities to help you find your feet, make new contacts, and share your work with a wider audience:
- Induction events to welcome you to our community and help you adjust to life as a postgraduate researcher - including a dedicated welcome week for international students and postgraduate researchers
- Seminars, conferences, and other research events to broaden your knowledge of research developments in your discipline and help you refine your own research ideas
- A year-round programme of networking events for postgraduate researchers such as the New History Lab and the Cafe Researcher where postgraduate researchers from all disciplines can get together over drinks to meet, talk, and share ideas
- Our prestigious Festival of Postgraduate Research where sixty of the best postgraduates get the opportunity to present their work to the wider University, employers, the media, and the general public
- Support to enable attendance at UK and international conferences where you will present papers, develop your confidence in disseminating research findings, and network with fellow researchers, academics, and employers