Postgraduate Research in Sociology
With an international research reputation and support and training structures to help you develop your skills and enhance your employability, the University of Leicester is the natural choice for the next generation of world-class researchers.
Study for a PhD or MPhil
- PhD and MPhil in Sociology
- Other PhD and MPhil Degrees
- Studentships and Funding
- Advice for Applicants
- Postgraduate Research at Leicester
Recent PhD and MPhil Projects
- Female Fandom in an English ‘Sports City’: A Sociological Study of Female Spectating and Consumption Around Sport
- Human Rights in Turkey: A Comparative Perspective on Violation and Resolution
- Sports Equity Strategies and Local Football in England
- This is England: Class, Culture, and Ethnicity Across Non-Metropolitan Spaces
Learn more about Research in the Department of Sociology.
Training for Postgraduate Researchers
Research students in the Department of Sociology receive full training in:
- research strategy
- research methods
- social theory
Additional training - e.g., in languages - is provided as needed.
The Department runs an informal Postgraduate Forum which enables postgraduates to get together and discuss their work. Postgraduate researchers also attend the Departmental research seminar series at which invited speakers, students, and staff present work in progress.
Students also attend the College of Social Science's researcher development training programme and are able to take advantage of the range of other training opportunities within the Graduate School.
Facilities for Postgraduate Researchers
The Department is generally able to provide shared office space for postgraduate researchers. Access is provided to telephone, fax, email, and general computing facilities.
Our distance learning PhD in Sociology allows you to study for a University of Leicester PhD wherever you are in the world and can be completed in three to six years.