Part-Time PhD and MPhil Degrees
Our part-time programmes offer a more flexible way to study for a research degree - meaning you can fit your studies around your career and other commitments.
Part-time study can be ideal for those looking to gain a PhD or MPhil without leaving employment and develop their careers while they continue earning. Part-time research degrees are particularly good for those looking to undertake research in an area related to their professional context and apply new knowledge and insights to their working life and many part-time researchers choose to tackle professional and work-related topics in their doctoral theses.
A part-time PhD can be completed in as little as three years, if you need longer you can take up to six years.
Almost all of our PhD and MPhil programmes can be taken part-time - find a part-time PhD or MPhil in your subject.
All the Support You Need
Part-time postgraduate researchers benefit from the same facilities and support as those on full-time programmes:
- a personal supervisor who will help you plan and manage your research and develop your understanding of relevant research methodology
- seminars and other events in your School/Department to help you become a part of our research community and place your own work in its broader research context
- keep in touch with your supervisor and other researchers in your School/Department through our Virtual Learning Environment
- use of our excellent campus facilities for postgraduate researchers - including the new £32m David Wilson Library
- structured training programmes designed to help you succeed in your research degree and give you skills that employers look for
- online training materials, study guides, and multimedia resources to help you develop your effectiveness as a researcher
- extensive e-library resources including remote access to some 18,000 electronic journals, books, and databases
Part-Time Programmes to Suit You
As a major research institution the University is well placed to offer opportunities to study for research degrees in a wide variety of fields - and almost all of our campus-based research degrees can be taken part-time.
Take a look at the full programme listing for further details.