UK Research Councils
The Research Councils support and promote research across the UK. There are seven Research Councils representing distinct academic disciplines:
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBRC)
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
Each year the Research Councils invest around £2.8 billion in research and this includes a number of postgraduate studentships. The majority of awards are for postgraduate researchers, though there are some awards for taught postgraduates.
The vast majority of Research Council awards are advertised by universities directly - Research Council funded awards through the University of Leicester will be advertised here.
International students should note that the UK Research Councils do not provide funding for students from outside the European Economic Area.